Trigger is not working for Inserts from the application

From
Kiran
Date:
Hi,

Problem background :
I have a *function in the DB* as follows
CREATE FUNCTION question_tsv_trigger() RETURNS trigger AS
$BODY$
begin
New.weighted_tsv :=
to_tsvector('swedish',coalesce(New.body->>'qtext','')::text);
RAISE NOTICE 'TRIGER called on %', TG_TABLE_NAME;
return New;
end
$BODY$
LANGUAGE plpgsql VOLATILE
COST 100;

*Trigger in the DB:*
CREATE TRIGGER insert_upd_question_tsvector BEFORE INSERT OR UPDATE
ON myschema.cf_question
FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE question_tsv_trigger();

If I insert a record from my application using following code :
db.myschema.cf_question.insert({
cf_question_type_id:request.payload.type_id,
cf_question_category_id:request.payload.cat_id,
lang:request.payload.lang,
body:request.payload.body
}

The above app code inserts the record in the DB, but the respective trigger
in the database is not triggered hence the "weighted_tsv" columns is empty
for this record.

But if I insert a record from the postgres psql, it will insert and
the respective trigger is working perfectly.

What could be the problem ? Why trigger is not working if I insert from the
application ? Am I doing anything wrong ?
Any help would be really really appreciated.

Thanks
Kiran

Re: Trigger is not working for Inserts from the application

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 09/10/2016 03:59 AM, Kiran wrote:
> Hi,
>
> *Problem background :*
> I have a *function in the DB* as follows
> CREATE FUNCTION question_tsv_trigger() RETURNS trigger AS
> $BODY$
> begin
> New.weighted_tsv :=
> to_tsvector('swedish',coalesce(New.body->>'qtext','')::text);
> RAISE NOTICE 'TRIGER called on %', TG_TABLE_NAME;
> return New;
> end
> $BODY$
> LANGUAGE plpgsql VOLATILE
> COST 100;
>
> **Trigger in the DB:**
> CREATE TRIGGER insert_upd_question_tsvector BEFORE INSERT OR UPDATE
> ON myschema.cf_question
> FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE question_tsv_trigger();
>
> If I insert a record from my application using following code :
> db.myschema.cf_question.insert({
> cf_question_type_id:request.payload.type_id,
> cf_question_category_id:request.payload.cat_id,
> lang:request.payload.lang,
> body:request.payload.body
> }
>
> The above app code inserts the record in the DB, but the respective trigger
> in the database is not triggered hence the "weighted_tsv" columns is empty
> for this record.
>
> But if I insert a record from the postgres psql, it will insert and
> the respective trigger is working perfectly.
>
> What could be the problem ? Why trigger is not working if I insert from the
> application ? Am I doing anything wrong ?
> Any help would be really really appreciated.

If you have not, turn on log_statement:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/runtime-config-logging.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-LOGGING-WHAT

Then check your log to see what the application is sending to the database.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Trigger is not working for Inserts from the application

Date:
> On 09/10/2016 03:59 AM, Kiran wrote:
>> What could be the problem ? Why trigger is not working if I insert from the
>> application ? Am I doing anything wrong ?

> If you have not, turn on log_statement:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/runtime-config-logging.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-LOGGING-WHAT
> Then check your log to see what the application is sending to the database.

At a slightly higher level: everything you've shown us looks fine,
therefore the problem is in something you didn't show us.  I've seen
people have problems like this for all sorts of reasons, eg

1. Application isn't connecting to the same database as your manual
sessions.  Maybe not even the same server.

2. Application is using a different search_path setting and therefore
touching a different table (same name but other schema).

3. Application isn't issuing the command you think it is, or is failing
to commit it.

4. Trigger is firing as expected but something else is overriding its
change to the data.

Adrian's suggestion of watching log_statement output would help debug
some of these cases; possibly log_connections would help with others.
I'd also suggest checking to see if the application is subject to
different ALTER USER ... SET parameters than your manual session.
Lastly, RAISE NOTICE is a tried-and-true method of checking whether
a trigger is firing, but it's not too helpful for debugging queries
from applications because they invariably drop notices on the floor.
I'd try RAISE LOG instead, and again watch the server log to see what
the application is really doing.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Trigger is not working for Inserts from the application

From
Kiran
Date:
Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your response.
I tried with logging. The application is inserting the record that I am passing into the database. But the trigger is not firing.
I have been looking into this issue since morning with out any positive outcome :(.
If you have any other tips, it will be really helpful.

regards
Kiran

[...]

Date:
Dear Tom,

Thanks for your detailed reply.

(1) Application is connecting to the same database.
(2) Application is inserting to the same table without much luck with the trigger.
(3) Application is issuing the right insert command.
(4) I am not able to check this, is there any way I can check this?

I have enabled the logging of all the statements in the conf file and  can see the logs for connection, statements. I have raised the LOG and I can see the logs in the file without any errors.

But I do not know how to check whether the application is subject to different ALTER USER .... SET parameters. Could you please give me some reference to which I can refer for this type of error checking or any other tips to solve this issue. I have been looking into this since morning without any positive outcome :(

Thanks once again.

regards
Kiran

Date:
On 09/10/2016 11:39 AM, Kiran wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
>
> Thanks for your response.
> I tried with logging. The application is inserting the record that I am
> passing into the database. But the trigger is not firing.

What is the text of the complete statement as it appears in the logs?

When you do the INSERT the other fields are the same in the database as
in the row, after the INSERT?

Related to second question, is the the INSERT being done in an explicit
transaction eg. BEGIN; INSERT something; and if so is there a COMMIT at
the end?

Have you tried with log_statement = 'all' to see if there are non-mod
statements running at the same time?

> I have been looking into this issue since morning with out any positive
> outcome :(.
> If you have any other tips, it will be really helpful.
>
> regards
> Kiran
>
> On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 3:22 PM, Adrian Klaver
> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 09/10/2016 03:59 AM, Kiran wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         *Problem background :*
>         I have a *function in the DB* as follows
>         CREATE FUNCTION question_tsv_trigger() RETURNS trigger AS
>         $BODY$
>         begin
>         New.weighted_tsv :=
>         to_tsvector('swedish',coalesce(New.body->>'qtext','')::text);
>         RAISE NOTICE 'TRIGER called on %', TG_TABLE_NAME;
>         return New;
>         end
>         $BODY$
>         LANGUAGE plpgsql VOLATILE
>         COST 100;
>
>         **Trigger in the DB:**
>         CREATE TRIGGER insert_upd_question_tsvector BEFORE INSERT OR UPDATE
>         ON myschema.cf_question
>         FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE question_tsv_trigger();
>
>         If I insert a record from my application using following code :
>         db.myschema.cf_question.insert({
>         cf_question_type_id:request.pa <http://request.pa>yload.type_id,
>         cf_question_category_id:request.payload.cat_id,
>         lang:request.payload.lang,
>         body:request.payload.body
>         }
>
>         The above app code inserts the record in the DB, but the
>         respective trigger
>         in the database is not triggered hence the "weighted_tsv"
>         columns is empty
>         for this record.
>
>         But if I insert a record from the postgres psql, it will insert and
>         the respective trigger is working perfectly.
>
>         What could be the problem ? Why trigger is not working if I
>         insert from the
>         application ? Am I doing anything wrong ?
>         Any help would be really really appreciated.
>

>     If you have not, turn on log_statement:
>
>     https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/runtime-config-logging.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-LOGGING-WHAT
>     <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/runtime-config-logging.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-LOGGING-WHAT>
>
>     Then check your log to see what the application is sending to the
>     database.
>

>         Thanks
>         Kiran
>

>     --
>     Adrian Klaver

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Trigger is not working for Inserts from the application

Date:
Kiran <bangalore.kiran@gmail.com> writes:
> But I do not know how to check whether the application is subject to
> different ALTER USER .... SET parameters.

psql's \drds ("display role/database SETs") would help.

BTW, have you checked that the trigger is not disabled, and that there
isn't another trigger undoing its work?  (psql's \d command on the table
should show these things.)

            regards, tom lane