Rackspace to RDS using DMS (Postgres 9.2)

From
Patrick B
Date:
Hi guys, I posted this question on the ADMIN list but will post here as well so more people can comment...
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAJNY3it_AfxJhmwMHtpiAbHG47GS5rJOAUgfHw%2BGm5OXCbUm7w%40mail.gmail.com

I've got a 2.3TB Database running at Rackspace... We'll be migrating it to RDS PostgreSQL 9.5 very soon...

We already have an EC2 Instance at Amazon running PostgreSQL 9.2 as streaming replication from Rackspace.

I'll have to upgrade the version of Postgres on that instance before start using DMS service.

Question:
Has anybody ever used that service? I'm just trying to find out how much time it will take to perform the migration...

Thanks!
Patrick

Re: Rackspace to RDS using DMS (Postgres 9.2)

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 08/31/2016 03:41 PM, Patrick B wrote:
> Hi guys, I posted this question on the ADMIN list but will post here as
> well so more people can comment...
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAJNY3it_AfxJhmwMHtpiAbHG47GS5rJOAUgfHw%2BGm5OXCbUm7w%40mail.gmail.com
>
> I've got a 2.3TB Database running at Rackspace... We'll be migrating it
> to RDS PostgreSQL 9.5 very soon...
>
> We already have an EC2 Instance at Amazon running PostgreSQL 9.2 as
> streaming replication from Rackspace.
>
> I'll have to upgrade the version of Postgres on that instance before
> start using DMS service.
>
> *Question:*
> Has anybody ever used that service? I'm just trying to find out how much
> time it will take to perform the migration...

It is 2.3TB, it is going to take a long time no matter what service you
are running.

No, I have not used DMS. Frankly, with all respect to AWS/RDS the idea
of running a 2.3TB instance that will get any level of performance
sounds ridiculously expensive.

Sincerely,

JD

> Thanks!
> Patrick

                         +1-503-667-4564
Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.

Re: Rackspace to RDS using DMS (Postgres 9.2)

From
"Mike Sofen"

From: Joshua D. Drake  Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2016 9:29 AM
On 08/31/2016 03:41 PM, Patrick B wrote:

> Hi guys, I posted this question on the ADMIN list but will post here

> as well so more people can comment...

> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAJNY3it_AfxJhmwMHtpiAbHG47GS5rJ

> OAUgfHw%2BGm5OXCbUm7w%40mail.gmail.com

> I've got a 2.3TB Database running at Rackspace... We'll be migrating

> it to RDS PostgreSQL 9.5 very soon...

> We already have an EC2 Instance at Amazon running PostgreSQL 9.2 as

> streaming replication from Rackspace.

> I'll have to upgrade the version of Postgres on that instance before

> start using DMS service.

> *Question:*

> Has anybody ever used that service? I'm just trying to find out how

> much time it will take to perform the migration...

It is 2.3TB, it is going to take a long time no matter what service you are running.

No, I have not used DMS. Frankly, with all respect to AWS/RDS the idea of running a 2.3TB instance that will get any level of performance sounds ridiculously expensive.

Sincerely,

JD

I currently have an EC2 instance in AWS – an m4.xlarge (4 cores, 16gb, 3tb SSDs) and it’s pretty cheap, about $620/mo ($210/mo for the compute, $410 for the storage).  The performance of this setup rivals in-house Cisco UCS server that we are demoing that costs ~$100k, as long as our batch sizes don’t exceed available memory – that’s where the larger Cisco pulls ahead.  The $620/mo is the on-demand price, btw…the reserved price is much lower.

$100k/ $620 = 161 months of operation before cost parity.

Mike S

Re: Rackspace to RDS using DMS (Postgres 9.2)

From
Vick Khera
Date:
On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 1:44 PM, Mike Sofen <msofen@runbox.com> wrote:
> $100k/ $620 = 161 months of operation before cost parity.

You ought to maybe compare what you can buy from an outfit like
Silicon Mechanics for ~$15k. I suspect you could get 16-core, 256GB
RAM, and several TB of disk. And then your parity would be much
shorter and you'd have higher performance.

Re: Rackspace to RDS using DMS (Postgres 9.2)

From
Patrick B

It is 2.3TB, it is going to take a long time no matter what service you are running.

I know that Joshua! I just wanna get an idea from someone who has used DMS service...

No, I have not used DMS. Frankly, with all respect to AWS/RDS the idea of running a 2.3TB instance that will get any level of performance sounds ridiculously expensive.

A business that has a 2.3TB database large, is not worried about costs... the system has been running fine since 2009 and now it's time to change the infrastructure to something more easily to make changes when needed.... We also have lots of customers in Australia and USA, so the Viability at Amazon will help with the latency for sure.

Sincerely,

JD

I currently have an EC2 instance in AWS – an m4.xlarge (4 cores, 16gb, 3tb SSDs) and it’s pretty cheap, about $620/mo ($210/mo for the compute, $410 for the storage).  The performance of this setup rivals in-house Cisco UCS server that we are demoing that costs ~$100k, as long as our batch sizes don’t exceed available memory – that’s where the larger Cisco pulls ahead.  The $620/mo is the on-demand price, btw…the reserved price is much lower.

$100k/ $620 = 161 months of operation before cost parity.

Mike S

We'll be using RDS, not an EC2 Instance.