Do docs miss information about timing of triggers?

From
Thomas Güttler
Date:
I (and a team mate) guess that the docs miss information about the timing of triggers,
which are not constraint triggers:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/sql-createtrigger.html

{{{
When the CONSTRAINT option is specified, this command creates a constraint trigger. This is the same as a regular
trigger except that the timing of the trigger firing can be adjusted using SET CONSTRAINTS. Constraint triggers must be

AFTER ROW triggers on tables. They can be fired either at the end of the statement causing the triggering event, or at
the end of the containing transaction; in the latter case they are said to be deferred. A pending deferred-trigger
firing can also be forced to happen immediately by using SET CONSTRAINTS. Constraint triggers are expected to raise an
exception when the constraints they implement are violated.
}}}

OK, timing of constraint triggers is explained.

But I think the docs don't state the timing of normal AFTER triggers.

Or am I blind?

Regards,
   Thomas Güttler

--
Thomas Guettler http://www.thomas-guettler.de/

Re: Do docs miss information about timing of triggers?

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
[...]

​Through omission.  Constraint triggers can optionally be deferred - given the specificity that means normal triggers cannot.

By the time a given statement has completed all relevant normal triggers will have fired.  The various timings of combinations of (before/after + row/statement) are not explicitly documented though there doesn't seem to be non-intuitive behavior going on.

​Maybe knowing why you are asking the question will help us to understand if/how things could be improved.

David J.

Re: Do docs miss information about timing of triggers?

Date:
> On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 8:50 AM, Thomas Güttler <
> guettliml@thomas-guettler.de> wrote:
>> OK, timing of constraint triggers is explained.
>> But I think the docs don't state the timing of normal AFTER triggers.

> ​Through omission.

It's not *that* bad.  See
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/trigger-definition.html

    Triggers are also classified according to whether they fire before,
    after, or instead of the operation. These are referred to as BEFORE
    triggers, AFTER triggers, and INSTEAD OF triggers
    respectively. Statement-level BEFORE triggers naturally fire before
    the statement starts to do anything, while statement-level AFTER
    triggers fire at the very end of the statement. These types of
    triggers may be defined on tables or views. Row-level BEFORE triggers
    fire immediately before a particular row is operated on, while
    row-level AFTER triggers fire at the end of the statement (but before
    any statement-level AFTER triggers). ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Do docs miss information about timing of triggers?

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 05/26/2016 05:50 AM, Thomas Güttler wrote:
> I (and a team mate) guess that the docs miss information about the
> timing of triggers,
> which are not constraint triggers:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/sql-createtrigger.html
>

> {{{
> When the CONSTRAINT option is specified, this command creates a
> constraint trigger. This is the same as a regular trigger except that
> the timing of the trigger firing can be adjusted using SET CONSTRAINTS.
> Constraint triggers must be AFTER ROW triggers on tables. They can be
> fired either at the end of the statement causing the triggering event,
> or at the end of the containing transaction; in the latter case they are
> said to be deferred. A pending deferred-trigger firing can also be
> forced to happen immediately by using SET CONSTRAINTS. Constraint
> triggers are expected to raise an exception when the constraints they
> implement are violated.
> }}}
>
> OK, timing of constraint triggers is explained.
>
> But I think the docs don't state the timing of normal AFTER triggers.
>
> Or am I blind?

Look about seven paragraphs up from the one you show above.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Do docs miss information about timing of triggers?

From
Thomas Güttler
Date:
Yes, you are right.

But "after" the statement could mean before commit, too.

Why not add this?

Proposal:

When no CONSTRAINT option is specified, this command creates a normal trigger. They
get fired at the end of the statement (IMMEDIATE).

Regards,
   Thomas Güttler

--
Thomas Guettler http://www.thomas-guettler.de/