Re: FreeBSD x86 and x86_64

From
MEERA
Date:
Hi all,

Any information regarding PostgreSQL support on FreeBSD platform?

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 12:26 PM, preeti soni <preeti_soni123@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi,

There is no clear information available for FreeBSD supported versions.

Would you please let em know if Postgres is supported on both FreeBSD x86 and x86_64.

Thanks in advance,

Preeti

--
thanks and regards,
Meera R Nair

Re: FreeBSD x86 and x86_64

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 02/23/2016 01:47 AM, MEERA wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Any information regarding PostgreSQL support on FreeBSD platform?

This:
http://www.postgresql.org/download/freebsd/

leads to:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=postgresql&stype=name&sektion=databases

If the above does not help, is there some specific information you are
after?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: FreeBSD x86 and x86_64

From
Alvaro Herrera
MEERA wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Any information regarding PostgreSQL support on FreeBSD platform?

You can see the list of supported platforms here:
http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl
We seem to have FreeBSD 9.0 on gcc 4.2 and FreeBSD 10 on clang, both on
x86_64.  If you want to see it tested on 32bit x86, I suggest you put up
a permanent buildfarm machine to that effect; see
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Buildfarm_Howto

Cheers

Re: FreeBSD x86 and x86_64

From
Larry Rosenman
Date:
On 2016-02-23 14:40, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> MEERA wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Any information regarding PostgreSQL support on FreeBSD platform?
>
> You can see the list of supported platforms here:
> http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl
> We seem to have FreeBSD 9.0 on gcc 4.2 and FreeBSD 10 on clang, both on
> x86_64.  If you want to see it tested on 32bit x86, I suggest you put
> up
> a permanent buildfarm machine to that effect; see
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Buildfarm_Howto
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Álvaro Herrera                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

The ports tree has postgresql:
org.lerctr.org /home/ler $ cd /usr/ports/databases/
borg.lerctr.org /usr/ports/databases $ ls|grep postgres
fpc-postgres
libgda4-postgresql
libgda5-postgresql
luasql-postgres
nagios-check_postgres_replication
p5-Test-postgresql
postgresql-jdbc
postgresql-libpgeasy
postgresql-libpqxx
postgresql-libpqxx3
postgresql-odbc
postgresql-pllua
postgresql-plproxy
postgresql-plruby
postgresql-plv8js
postgresql-relay
postgresql-repmgr
postgresql90-client
postgresql90-contrib
postgresql90-docs
postgresql90-pgtcl
postgresql90-plperl
postgresql90-plpython
postgresql90-pltcl
postgresql90-server
postgresql91-client
postgresql91-contrib
postgresql91-docs
postgresql91-pgtcl
postgresql91-plperl
postgresql91-plpython
postgresql91-pltcl
postgresql91-server
postgresql92-client
postgresql92-contrib
postgresql92-docs
postgresql92-pgtcl
postgresql92-plperl
postgresql92-plpython
postgresql92-pltcl
postgresql92-server
postgresql93-client
postgresql93-contrib
postgresql93-docs
postgresql93-pgtcl
postgresql93-plperl
postgresql93-plpython
postgresql93-pltcl
postgresql93-server
postgresql94-client
postgresql94-contrib
postgresql94-docs
postgresql94-pgtcl
postgresql94-plperl
postgresql94-plpython
postgresql94-pltcl
postgresql94-server
postgresql95-client
postgresql95-contrib
postgresql95-docs
postgresql95-pgtcl
postgresql95-plperl
postgresql95-plpython
postgresql95-pltcl
postgresql95-server
postgresql_autodoc
proftpd-mod_sql_postgres
py-postgresql
rubygem-dm-postgres-adapter
rubygem-do_postgres
borg.lerctr.org /usr/ports/databases $

I'm running 9.5.1 on both 11-CURRENT, and 10.x

Phone: +1 214-642-9640                 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org
US Mail: 7011 W Parmer Ln, Apt 1115, Austin, TX 78729-6961

Re: FreeBSD x86 and x86_64

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 2/23/2016 12:45 PM, Larry Rosenman wrote:

> The ports tree has postgresql:
> I'm running 9.5.1 on both 11-CURRENT, and 10.x

and I might add, postgres behaves very nicely in a FreeBSD Jail.

I'm running pg 9.4.6 in a FreeNAS (FreeBSD 9.3) jail without any hassle,
and very good performance, installed from ports via pkg install ...

Re: FreeBSD x86 and x86_64

From
Achilleas Mantzios
Date:
Any information regarding PostgreSQL support on FreeBSD platform?

Of course it is. You can install PostgreSQL via packages, via ports or manually. I prefer the manual way and have been doing so for many years. FreeBSD peculiarities will start to bite (maybe, maybe not) once you start entering territories like threading, but you are far from that from what I gather.

There is no clear information available for FreeBSD supported versions.

Would you please let em know if Postgres is supported on both FreeBSD x86 and x86_64.

Thanks in advance,

Preeti

--
thanks and regards,
Meera R Nair

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead
IT DEPT
Dynacom Tankers Mgmt

Re: FreeBSD x86 and x86_64

From
Achilleas Mantzios
Date:
On 23/02/2016 23:02, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 2/23/2016 12:45 PM, Larry Rosenman wrote:
>>
>> The ports tree has postgresql:
>> I'm running 9.5.1 on both 11-CURRENT, and 10.x
>
> and I might add, postgres behaves very nicely in a FreeBSD Jail.

Quite off-topic, but did you ever manage to run postgres on identical jails, i.e. same user, same port? Was FreeBSD IPC
everjailified? Or did the recent switch to mmap resolve this?

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead

Re: FreeBSD x86 and x86_64

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 2/23/2016 11:17 PM, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:

> Quite off-topic, but did you ever manage to run postgres on identical
> jails, i.e. same user, same port? Was FreeBSD IPC ever jailified? Or
> did the recent switch to mmap resolve this?

no, I haven't tried that, just have the one postgres instance running on
that NAS box (a HP DL160gen8 with 16 cores, 128gb ram, and 58 SAS2
15krpm disks).

Re: FreeBSD x86 and x86_64

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 2/23/2016 10:57 PM, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
> Of course it is. You can install PostgreSQL via packages, via ports or
> manually. I prefer the manual way and have been doing so for many
> years. FreeBSD peculiarities will start to bite (maybe, maybe not)
> once you start entering territories like threading, but you are far
> from that from what I gather.

postgres doesn't use threading, so there shouldn't be any issues there ....

Re: FreeBSD x86 and x86_64

From
Achilleas Mantzios
Date:
On 24/02/2016 09:20, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 2/23/2016 10:57 PM, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
>> Of course it is. You can install PostgreSQL via packages, via ports or manually. I prefer the manual way and have
beendoing so for many years. FreeBSD peculiarities will start to bite (maybe,
>> maybe not) once you start entering territories like threading, but you are far from that from what I gather.
>
> postgres doesn't use threading, so there shouldn't be any issues there ....

I was referring to projects like pljava.

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead

Re: FreeBSD x86 and x86_64

From
MEERA
Date:
Hi all,

Thanks a lot for the information, we are fine. Really appreciate it.

Larry Rosenman                     http://www.lerctr.org/~ler