BSD initdb without ICU support and switch later

From
"Maeldron T."
Date:
        Hello,

the ICU patch isn’t ready for PostgreSQL on FreeBSD.

Is there any risk (more than 0) in executing the initdb without ICU
support and recompiling PostgreSQL later when the ICU patch is ready? I
mean any risk without making a dump and import before the switch.

If this is okay for sure, what should I do later when the ICU is
available? Do I have to reindex everything with the ICU patched database?

Thank you.

        M.

Re: BSD initdb without ICU support and switch later

From
Achilleas Mantzios
Date:

https://people.freebsd.org/~girgen/postgresql-icu/readme.html

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead

Re: BSD initdb without ICU support and switch later

From
Oleg Bartunov

the ICU patch isn’t ready for PostgreSQL on FreeBSD.

Is there any risk (more than 0) in executing the initdb without ICU
support and recompiling PostgreSQL later when the ICU patch is ready? I
mean any risk without making a dump and import before the switch.

Teodor has made a patch for ICU and PostgreSQL 9.5.

If this is okay for sure, what should I do later when the ICU is
available? Do I have to reindex everything with the ICU patched database?

I think, yes.

Thank you.

        M.

Re: BSD initdb without ICU support and switch later

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 4:39 AM, Achilleas Mantzios
<achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> wrote:
> On 29/01/2016 16:46, Maeldron T. wrote:
>>
>>          Hello,
>>
>> the ICU patch isn’t ready for PostgreSQL on FreeBSD.
>

> https://people.freebsd.org/~girgen/postgresql-icu/readme.html

If the goal is to get Unicode collation support, note also that
FreeBSD 11 (due some time this year) supports that in libc.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: BSD initdb without ICU support and switch later

From
jje
Date:
Hi there.

Just wondering if anyone has got ICU support/patch applied to 9.5 yet. We
are holding on 9.4 for now but want to get onto 9.5 asap but can't due to
the ICU limitation.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.