Ubuntu 14.04 LTS install problem

From
Urs Berner
Date:
I installed Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
apg-get update ... apt-get upgrade ...

and looked at
www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu
then added apt repository /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgdg.list

When I try

apt-get install postgresql-9.4

error:
.... depends on postgresql-common (>= 142~) what should not get installed
... you have defect packages ...

any ideas?

Urs

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS install problem

From
"Charles Clavadetscher"
Date:
Hello Urs

I could install PostgreSQL 9.4 on Ubuntu 14.04 without adding repositories (actually it was an upgrade and I had to
movethe data manually from 9.3 to 9.4). You may want to try it that way?

Bye
Charles

Date:
Am 01.07.2015 um 09:08 schrieb Charles Clavadetscher:
> Hello Urs
>
> I could install PostgreSQL 9.4 on Ubuntu 14.04 without adding repositories (actually it was an upgrade and I had to
movethe data manually from 9.3 to 9.4). You may want to try it that way?

> Bye
> Charles

the Ubuntu-Software Center offers postgresql-9.3, but when trying to
install I get an error:

dependencies missing, "postgresql:" but not more hints

Because it is a totally new computer I have not yet had an older
instance of postgresql.

When I try via terminal
apt-get install postgresql-9.3 there are the same messages about
postgresql-common (>= 142~) ... defect packages ...

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS install problem

From
Jan de Visser
Date:
On July 1, 2015 07:39:59 AM Urs Berner wrote:
> I installed Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
> apg-get update ... apt-get upgrade ...
>
> and looked at
> www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu
> then added apt repository /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgdg.list
>
> When I try
>
> apt-get install postgresql-9.4
>
> error:
> .... depends on postgresql-common (>= 142~) what should not get installed
> ... you have defect packages ...
>
> any ideas?
>
> Urs

I would uninstall the stock (Ubuntu) version before installing the pgdg
version.

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS install problem

From
"Charles Clavadetscher"
Date:
I need to check that when I get home. Suddendly I have the impression that I may have added a repository to check 9.4
beforeit was released.
I will get back at that if nobody else can offer a solution, but it may take some time.

Bye
Charles

"Urs G. Berner"
Date:
Am 01.07.15 um 14:08 schrieb Jan de Visser:
> On July 1, 2015 07:39:59 AM Urs Berner wrote:
.
.
> I would uninstall the stock (Ubuntu) version before installing the pgdg
> version.

There is no postgresql at all installed - nor can I install the stock
nor the pgdg version

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS install problem

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 07/01/2015 05:51 AM, Urs G. Berner wrote:
> Am 01.07.15 um 14:08 schrieb Jan de Visser:
>> On July 1, 2015 07:39:59 AM Urs Berner wrote:
> .
> .
>> I would uninstall the stock (Ubuntu) version before installing the pgdg
>> version.
>>
> There is no postgresql at all installed - nor can I install the stock
> nor the pgdg version

Have you tried:

apt-get dist-upgrade

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
On July 1, 2015 02:51:37 PM Urs G. Berner wrote:
> Am 01.07.15 um 14:08 schrieb Jan de Visser:
> > On July 1, 2015 07:39:59 AM Urs Berner wrote:
> .
> .
>
> > I would uninstall the stock (Ubuntu) version before installing the pgdg
> > version.
>
> There is no postgresql at all installed - nor can I install the stock
> nor the pgdg version

Strange. The machine I'm typing this on (which has Ubuntu 15.04) had no pgsql
installed:

jan@bison:~$ uname -a
Linux bison 3.19.0-22-generic #22-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 16 17:15:15 UTC 2015
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
jan@bison:~$ sudo apt install postgresql
[sudo] password for jan:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  postgresql-9.4 postgresql-client-9.4 postgresql-client-common postgresql-
common
Suggested packages:
  postgresql-doc oidentd ident-server locales-all postgresql-doc-9.4
  postgresql postgresql-9.4 postgresql-client-9.4 postgresql-client-common
postgresql-common
0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 3,859 kB of archives.
After this operation, 15.9 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Get:1 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ vivid/main postgresql-client-common
all 166bzr2 [26.9 kB]
Get:2 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ vivid-updates/main postgresql-
client-9.4 amd64 9.4.4-0ubuntu0.15.04
etc etc.

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS install problem

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 3:05 AM, Urs Berner <urs.berner@hin.ch> wrote:
> Am 01.07.2015 um 09:08 schrieb Charles Clavadetscher:
>>
>> Hello Urs
>>
>> I could install PostgreSQL 9.4 on Ubuntu 14.04 without adding repositories
>> (actually it was an upgrade and I had to move the data manually from 9.3 to
>> 9.4). You may want to try it that way?
>>
>> Bye
>> Charles
>

> the Ubuntu-Software Center offers postgresql-9.3, but when trying to install
> I get an error:
>
> dependencies missing, "postgresql:" but not more hints
>
> Because it is a totally new computer I have not yet had an older instance of
> postgresql.
>
> When I try via terminal
> apt-get install postgresql-9.3 there are the same messages about
> postgresql-common (>= 142~) ... defect packages ...

This isn't really a postgresql problem this is a problem with an
ubuntu machine with a broken packaging system. I'd google "ubuntu
defect pacakges" and see what you find there. There's usually some
single line magical invocation that fixes this kind of stuff.

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS install problem

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 07/01/2015 02:59 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> postgresql.
>>
>> When I try via terminal
>> apt-get install postgresql-9.3 there are the same messages about
>> postgresql-common (>= 142~) ... defect packages ...
>
> This isn't really a postgresql problem this is a problem with an
> ubuntu machine with a broken packaging system. I'd google "ubuntu
> defect pacakges" and see what you find there. There's usually some
> single line magical invocation that fixes this kind of stuff.

apt-get -f install

will likely get them to a sane state but watch what is going to be removed.

JD

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS install problem

From
Urs Berner
Date:
solved...

wrong ubuntu-version (unicorn instead of trusty) in /pgdg.list

thanks to all
Urs