Re: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS install problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS install problem
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 3:05 AM, Urs Berner <urs.berner@hin.ch> wrote:
> Am 01.07.2015 um 09:08 schrieb Charles Clavadetscher:
>>
>> Hello Urs
>>
>> I could install PostgreSQL 9.4 on Ubuntu 14.04 without adding repositories
>> (actually it was an upgrade and I had to move the data manually from 9.3 to
>> 9.4). You may want to try it that way?
>>
>> Bye
>> Charles
>

> the Ubuntu-Software Center offers postgresql-9.3, but when trying to install
> I get an error:
>
> dependencies missing, "postgresql:" but not more hints
>
> Because it is a totally new computer I have not yet had an older instance of
> postgresql.
>
> When I try via terminal
> apt-get install postgresql-9.3 there are the same messages about
> postgresql-common (>= 142~) ... defect packages ...

This isn't really a postgresql problem this is a problem with an
ubuntu machine with a broken packaging system. I'd google "ubuntu
defect pacakges" and see what you find there. There's usually some
single line magical invocation that fixes this kind of stuff.