Replicate over pgbouncer?

From
Andomar
Date:
Hi,

Today I installed pgbouncer.  I added a second installation as a hot
standby.  Before starting the standby, I configured "recovery.conf" to
connect to pgbouncer.

This results in an error message:

     Pooler Error: Unsupported startup parameter: replication

Is it possible to replicate over a connection through pgbouncer?

Kind regards,
Andomar

Re: Replicate over pgbouncer?

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
Today I installed pgbouncer.  I added a second installation as a hot standby.  Before starting the standby, I configured "recovery.conf" to connect to pgbouncer.

This results in an error message:

    Pooler Error: Unsupported startup parameter: replication

Is it possible to replicate over a connection through pgbouncer?

I'm doubtful.  Why do you think you need such a capability?

David J.

Date:
> I'm doubtful.  Why do you think you need such a capability?

For simplicity.  If I can replicate through pgbouncer, I'll need only
one open port on the machine.  Postgres would just listen on localhost.

If not, I'll have to make Postgres listen on an interface on a different
port.

-Andomar

Re: Replicate over pgbouncer?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 5/21/15 12:12 PM, Andomar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today I installed pgbouncer.  I added a second installation as a hot
> standby.  Before starting the standby, I configured "recovery.conf" to
> connect to pgbouncer.
>
> This results in an error message:
>
>     Pooler Error: Unsupported startup parameter: replication
>
> Is it possible to replicate over a connection through pgbouncer?

Currently not.

Re: Replicate over pgbouncer?

From
Melvin Davidson
Date:
Since you did not specify your O/S and PostgreSQL version, I'll just point you to the documentation for 9.1.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/different-replication-solutions.html

It looks very much to me like you are trying to use a hammer to turn a screw. pg_bouncer is not designed for replication.  I strongly suggest you review the url provided and pick the method that best suits your needs.

Date:
> Since you did not specify your O/S and PostgreSQL version, I'll just
> point you to the documentation for 9.1.

We're using CentOS 6.5 with PostgreSQL 9.4.1.

Like the original post mentioned, we use a hot standby for replication.

The question is whether we can do the hot standby through pgbouncer, or
if we need a separate open port on the database server just for replication.

Cheers,
Andomar

Re: Replicate over pgbouncer?

From
Joseph Kregloh
Date:
You will want to setup your replication user to connect to PostgreSQL directly. Going through pgBouncer is asking for trouble.

-Joseph Kregloh