Unicode license compatibility with PostgreSQL license

From
Haribabu Kommi
Date:
Hi All,

For our next set of development activities in PostgreSQL, we want to
use the Unicode organization code with PostgreSQL to open source that
feature. Is the Unicode license is compatible with PostgreSQL.

The following is the header that is present in one of the Unicode files.

/*
 * Copyright 2001-2004 Unicode, Inc.
 *
 * Disclaimer
 *
 * This source code is provided as is by Unicode, Inc. No claims are
 * made as to fitness for any particular purpose. No warranties of any
 * kind are expressed or implied. The recipient agrees to determine
 * applicability of information provided. If this file has been
 * purchased on magnetic or optical media from Unicode, Inc., the
 * sole remedy for any claim will be exchange of defective media
 * within 90 days of receipt.
 *
 * Limitations on Rights to Redistribute This Code
 *
 * Unicode, Inc. hereby grants the right to freely use the information
 * supplied in this file in the creation of products supporting the
 * Unicode Standard, and to make copies of this file in any form
 * for internal or external distribution as long as this notice
 * remains attached.
 */

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia

Re: Unicode license compatibility with PostgreSQL license

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 3:03 PM, Haribabu Kommi
<kommi.haribabu@gmail.com> wrote:
> For our next set of development activities in PostgreSQL, we want to
> use the Unicode organization code with PostgreSQL to open source that
> feature. Is the Unicode license is compatible with PostgreSQL.
>
> The following is the header that is present in one of the Unicode files.

I am no lawyer, but FWIW I have never heard of any legal folks I know
complain about this license being incompatible with PostgreSQL
license.
--
Michael

Re: Unicode license compatibility with PostgreSQL license

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 3/18/2015 11:03 PM, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
> For our next set of development activities in PostgreSQL, we want to
> use the Unicode organization code with PostgreSQL to open source that
> feature. Is the Unicode license is compatible with PostgreSQL.

I'm curious...  What does this Unicode Inc code do that the existing
UTF8 support doesn't ?

--
john r pierce, from the mid left coast

Re: Unicode license compatibility with PostgreSQL license

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 11:03 PM, Haribabu Kommi
<kommi.haribabu@gmail.com> wrote:
> For our next set of development activities in PostgreSQL, we want to
> use the Unicode organization code with PostgreSQL to open source that
> feature. Is the Unicode license is compatible with PostgreSQL.

Do you mean that you'd like to add ICU support? I think that would be
extremely interesting, FWIW. The stability of ICU collations would be
quite helpful from a number of different perspective. One of which is
that having a contract about the stability of strxfrm()-style binary
keys would allow me to make text abbreviated keys exploited in the
internal pages of B-Tree indexes, to greatly reduce cache misses with
index scans on text attributes. This general technique already been
very effective with sorting [1], but it feels likely that we'll need
ICU to make the abbreviation technique useful for indexes.

[1] http://pgeoghegan.blogspot.com/2015/01/abbreviated-keys-exploiting-locality-to.html
Peter Geoghegan

Re: Unicode license compatibility with PostgreSQL license

From
Haribabu Kommi
Date:
On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 5:54 AM, Peter Geoghegan
<peter.geoghegan86@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 11:03 PM, Haribabu Kommi
> <kommi.haribabu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> For our next set of development activities in PostgreSQL, we want to
>> use the Unicode organization code with PostgreSQL to open source that
>> feature. Is the Unicode license is compatible with PostgreSQL.
>
> Do you mean that you'd like to add ICU support? I think that would be
> extremely interesting, FWIW. The stability of ICU collations would be
> quite helpful from a number of different perspective. One of which is
> that having a contract about the stability of strxfrm()-style binary
> keys would allow me to make text abbreviated keys exploited in the
> internal pages of B-Tree indexes, to greatly reduce cache misses with
> index scans on text attributes. This general technique already been
> very effective with sorting [1], but it feels likely that we'll need
> ICU to make the abbreviation technique useful for indexes.
>
> [1] http://pgeoghegan.blogspot.com/2015/01/abbreviated-keys-exploiting-locality-to.html

Hi All,

Thanks for the information.
we are just evaluating some conversion algorithms to convert from
UTF32/16 to UTF8 and vice versa.

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia