can you have any idea about toast missing chunk issu resolution

From
M Tarkeshwar Rao

Hi all,

We are getting following error message on doing any action on the table like(Select or open from pgadmin).

Please suggest.

ERROR:  missing chunk number 0 for toast value 54787 in pg_toast_2619

********** Error **********

ERROR: missing chunk number 0 for toast value 54787 in pg_toast_2619

SQL state: XX000

CREATE TABLE mm_activealarm

(

  alarm_id integer NOT NULL,

  source_address character varying(255) NOT NULL,

  alarm_instance_id integer NOT NULL,

  alarm_raise_time bigint,

  alarm_update_time bigint,

  alarm_cease_time bigint,

  alarm_count integer,

  alarm_severity integer NOT NULL,

  source_type character varying(40) NOT NULL,

  alarm_state integer NOT NULL,

  event_type integer,

  notification_id integer NOT NULL,

  probable_cause integer NOT NULL,

  specific_problem integer NOT NULL,

  alarm_additional_text character varying(10240),

  alarm_ack_time bigint,

  alarm_ack_user character varying(100) NOT NULL,

  alarm_ack_system character varying(100) NOT NULL,

  alarm_proposed_repair_action character varying(10240) NOT NULL,

  CONSTRAINT mm_activealarm_pk PRIMARY KEY (alarm_id, source_address)

  USING INDEX TABLESPACE mgrdata

)

WITH (

  OIDS=FALSE

)

TABLESPACE mgrdata;

ALTER TABLE ss_activealarm

  OWNER TO ss_super;

Regards

Tarkeshwar

Re: can you have any idea about toast missing chunk issu resolution

Date:
M Tarkeshwar Rao <m.tarkeshwar.rao@ericsson.com> writes:
> ERROR:  missing chunk number 0 for toast value 54787 in pg_toast_2619

What PG version is that exactly?

If you're not running the latest minor release in your branch, updating
would be advisable; there have been fixes in the past for bugs with
symptoms like this.

If you still see the issue after updating, an ANALYZE on the problem
table would probably help.

            regards, tom lane

Re: can you have any idea about toast missing chunk issu resolution

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 01/15/2015 04:30 AM, M Tarkeshwar Rao wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are getting following error message on doing any action on the table
> like(Select or open from pgadmin).
>
> Please suggest.
>
> ERROR:  missing chunk number 0 for toast value 54787 in pg_toast_2619
>
> ********** Error **********
>
> ERROR: missing chunk number 0 for toast value 54787 in pg_toast_2619
>
> SQL state: XX000

We've been down this path before:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1C16813DAFF3E44B939586605D40E9F011737C1B@ESESSMB107.ericsson.se

and it was never resolved for lack of information. So:

1) Per Tom, what version of Postgres?

2) What OS and version?

3) General hardware specifications.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: can you have any idea about toast missing chunk issu resolution

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
M Tarkeshwar Rao wrote on 15.01.2015 13:30:
> Hi all,
>
> We are getting following error message on doing any action on the table like(Select or open from pgadmin).
>
> Please suggest.
>
> ERROR:  missing chunk number 0 for toast value 54787 in pg_toast_2619
>
> ********** Error **********
>
> ERROR: missing chunk number 0 for toast value 54787 in pg_toast_2619
>
> SQL state: XX000

You have an answer on dba.stackexchange.com

http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/31008/pg-dump-and-error-missing-chunk-number-0-for-toast-value

If that answer (which you marked as "correct") doesn't solve the problem you need to supply more information

Re: can you have any idea about toast missing chunk issu resolution

From
M Tarkeshwar Rao
Date:
Thanks Tom for your quick reply.

We are using 9.1.3.
We got some information on internet regarding this and also found bug IDs:

You have any idea is these bugs are fixed in any release or fixed in latest 9.3.5?

We are in blocking stage as many users depend on this. Can you please help us in resolution?

BUG #9187: corrupt toast tables

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/30154.1392ds
153590@sss.pgh.pa.us
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAFj8pRAufPtTn5+ohFqPbcd1JzkErsCK51UAkHCWd8nt4osXjA@mail.gmail.com
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20140211162408.2713.81446@wrigleys.postgresql.org

BUG #7819: missing chunk number 0 for toast value 1235919 in pg_toast_35328
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/C62EC84B2D3CF847899CCF4B589CCF70B20AA08F@BBMBX.backbone.local

Regards
Tarkeshwar
> ERROR:  missing chunk number 0 for toast value 54787 in pg_toast_2619

What PG version is that exactly?

If you're not running the latest minor release in your branch, updating would be advisable; there have been fixes in
thepast for bugs with symptoms like this.

If you still see the issue after updating, an ANALYZE on the problem table would probably help.

            regards, tom lane

Re: can you have any idea about toast missing chunk issu resolution

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 2:38 PM, M Tarkeshwar Rao
<m.tarkeshwar.rao@ericsson.com> wrote:
> Thanks Tom for your quick reply.
>
> We are using 9.1.3.
First thing: update to 9.1.18 if you do not upgrade to 9.3.5, you are
missing more than 2 years worth of bug fixes.

> You have any idea is these bugs are fixed in any release or fixed in latest 9.3.5?
> We are in blocking stage as many users depend on this. Can you please help us in resolution?
You should try what Jim has recommended upthread: first try to see if
REINDEX fixes the issue and be sure to take a file system backup. Try
as well ANALYZE as mentioned by Tom.
--
Michael