Testing on Power 8 systems

From
Georges Racinet
Date:
Hi,

I have an opportunity to test PostgreSQL and the applications I care
about on a IBM Power 8 system tomorrow afternoon (Nov 4th, CET time).

While my primary interest lies in the applications, I was wondering if
people here would have advice or interest about useful tests or
benchmarks to perform.

Apparently, a wide range of Linux distributions (most probably in VMs)
will be available, and I have no doubt that installation will be easy.
Didn't find many ppc64 ou ppc64el binary packages online, though:
yum.postgresql.org and apt.postgresql.org seem to only provide x86*,
there's a ppc64el port of Debian…

Regards,

Re: Testing on Power 8 systems

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 11/3/2014 9:45 AM, Georges Racinet wrote:
> I have an opportunity to test PostgreSQL and the applications I care
> about on a IBM Power 8 system tomorrow afternoon (Nov 4th, CET time).
>
> While my primary interest lies in the applications, I was wondering if
> people here would have advice or interest about useful tests or
> benchmarks to perform.
>
> Apparently, a wide range of Linux distributions (most probably in VMs)
> will be available, and I have no doubt that installation will be easy.
> Didn't find many ppc64 ou ppc64el binary packages online, though:
> yum.postgresql.org and apt.postgresql.org seem to only provide x86*,
> there's a ppc64el port of Debian…

postgres built just fine for me on AIX 6 on a Power6 server using IBM
XLC.   I've not run Linux on Power, had no need for it.

Re: Testing on Power 8 systems

From
Devrim Gündüz
Date:
Hi,

On Mon, 2014-11-03 at 18:45 +0100, Georges Racinet wrote:
> Didn't find many ppc64 ou ppc64el binary packages online, though:
> yum.postgresql.org

For the archives: We will support Power 7 and Power 8 systems on RHEL 6
and RHEL 7 in the upcoming weeks.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Date:
On 11/03/2014 07:27 PM, Devrim Gündüz wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-11-03 at 18:45 +0100, Georges Racinet wrote:
>> > Didn't find many ppc64 ou ppc64el binary packages online, though:
>> > yum.postgresql.org
> For the archives: We will support Power 7 and Power 8 systems on RHEL 6
> and RHEL 7 in the upcoming weeks.
Thanks for the tip !

Date:
On 11/3/2014 10:27 AM, Devrim Gündüz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2014-11-03 at 18:45 +0100, Georges Racinet wrote:
>> >Didn't find many ppc64 ou ppc64el binary packages online, though:
>> >yum.postgresql.org
> For the archives: We will support Power 7 and Power 8 systems on RHEL 6
> and RHEL 7 in the upcoming weeks.

oooh, did someone donate a build host?    cool!

what about AIX ?

Re: Testing on Power 8 systems

From
Devrim Gündüz
Date:
Hi,

On Mon, 2014-11-03 at 10:35 -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
> oooh, did someone donate a build host?    cool!

It is not finalized, but we are close to that.

> what about AIX ?

No idea. I just build RPMs :)

Devrim GÜNDÜZ