SSL connection has been closed unexpectedly

From
Stuart Ford
Date:
Dear community

We have a problem on our development database server, which supports a PHP
application, which connects to it from a different server. Sometimes,
around 1 in 4 page loads, it fails and reports the following error message:

FATAL: terminating connection due to administrator command SSL connection
has been closed unexpectedly

Reloading the page usually works, sometimes doesn't, sometimes it requires
several more refresh attempts before it magically works again. The odd
thing is that we also have a live platform that is set up in the same way,
and this does not occur, thankfully, but I expect it could.

I've tried turning off all SSL features on the development platform, but
oddly, the same problem persists. I've also tried whacking the logging
level up to debug5, but still nothing appears in the PG logs when the
problem occurs.

Does anybody have any idea what could be happening here?

Many thanks in advance

Stuart Ford

This email and any attachments contain confidential and proprietary information of Glide Utilities Limited intended
onlyfor the use of the person to whom it is addressed. Unauthorised disclosure, copying or distribution of the email or
itscontent may result in legal liability. If you have received the email in error, please immediately notify us by
telephoneon +44 333 666 5555 or email glide@glide.uk.com

The sender does not accept liability for any loss or damage from receipt or use thereof which arises as a result of
internettransmission. Any views/opinions expressed within this email and any attachments are that of the individual and
notnecessarily that of Glide Utilities Limited.

Glide is a registered trademark of Glide Utilities Limited. Registered Office: Alpha Tower, Suffolk Street Queensway,
Birmingham,B1 1TT. Registered in England & Wales. Registered Company No. 06194523.

Re: SSL connection has been closed unexpectedly

From
Alban Hertroys
Date:
We have a problem on our development database server, which supports a PHP
application, which connects to it from a different server. Sometimes,
around 1 in 4 page loads, it fails and reports the following error message:

FATAL: terminating connection due to administrator command SSL connection
has been closed unexpectedly

This has nothing to do with SSL. You have an "administrator" who's issuing commands to close database connections. Those just happen to be SSL connections.

Perhaps the Linux OOM killer is at work here?

Re: SSL connection has been closed unexpectedly

From
Stuart Ford
Date:
Alban

I would agree with you, except it still happens even after I have disabled
all SSL related stuff in postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf. I've also no
evidence of any out of memory events on the server.

Stuart