VACUUM FULL freezes

From
RDNikeAir
Date:
I have a database that is on a RAID5 machine that is almost out of memory
(277GB of 330GB used).  I have deleted some data and run the VACUUM FULL
command, but after a few hours gave me the error message "Server closed the
connection unexpectedly. This probably means the server terminated
abnormally before or while processing the request. The connection to the
server was lost. Attempting reset: Failed."  I know that the server did not
fail, so i assume that this timed out.  The server is running version 7.4 (i
know it's an old version).

The database has several tables, but 99% of the data is located in a single
table.  My fear is that there's not enough system memory left to perform the
full vacuum since it's all contained in a single table.

Any ideas?

Re: VACUUM FULL freezes

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 8:49 AM, RDNikeAir <ryan.dupuis@excelitas.com> wrote:
> I have a database that is on a RAID5 machine that is almost out of memory
> (277GB of 330GB used).  I have deleted some data and run the VACUUM FULL
> command, but after a few hours gave me the error message "Server closed the
> connection unexpectedly. This probably means the server terminated
> abnormally before or while processing the request. The connection to the
> server was lost. Attempting reset: Failed."  I know that the server did not
> fail, so i assume that this timed out.  The server is running version 7.4 (i
> know it's an old version).
>
> The database has several tables, but 99% of the data is located in a single
> table.  My fear is that there's not enough system memory left to perform the
> full vacuum since it's all contained in a single table.
>
> Any ideas?

Anything in the postgres logs about it? I'm guessing you've got some
corruption somewhere that's causing the backend to crash during a
vacuum full. Whether or not the backend crashed or the connection
timed out, there should be something about it in the postgres logs.

Re: VACUUM FULL freezes

From
RDNikeAir
Date:
Interestingly enough all the pgsql.log.* files are blank (0 KB) and the last
message i have in messages.* is from a few days ago.  So there are no recent
entries that i can look at.

Re: VACUUM FULL freezes

From
Alvaro Herrera
RDNikeAir wrote:
> Interestingly enough all the pgsql.log.* files are blank (0 KB) and the last
> message i have in messages.* is from a few days ago.  So there are no recent
> entries that i can look at.

Well, it is clear then that the first thing you need to do is fix your
logging.

Re: VACUUM FULL freezes

From
Chris Ernst
Date:
On 05/22/2013 08:49 AM, RDNikeAir wrote:
> I have a database that is on a RAID5 machine that is almost out of memory
> (277GB of 330GB used).  I have deleted some data and run the VACUUM FULL
> command, but after a few hours gave me the error message "Server closed the
> connection unexpectedly. This probably means the server terminated
> abnormally before or while processing the request. The connection to the
> server was lost. Attempting reset: Failed."  I know that the server did not
> fail, so i assume that this timed out.  The server is running version 7.4 (i
> know it's an old version).
>
> The database has several tables, but 99% of the data is located in a single
> table.  My fear is that there's not enough system memory left to perform the
> full vacuum since it's all contained in a single table.
>
> Any ideas?

Perhaps your best option is a full dump and restore.  That will
certainly de-bloat everything as well.  And if you do that, you could
consider upgrading as well.

Cheers!

     - Chris