VACUUM FULL freezes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From RDNikeAir
Subject VACUUM FULL freezes
Date
Re: VACUUM FULL freezes  (Chris Ernst <cernst@zvelo.com>)
List pgsql-general
I have a database that is on a RAID5 machine that is almost out of memory
(277GB of 330GB used).  I have deleted some data and run the VACUUM FULL
command, but after a few hours gave me the error message "Server closed the
connection unexpectedly. This probably means the server terminated
abnormally before or while processing the request. The connection to the
server was lost. Attempting reset: Failed."  I know that the server did not
fail, so i assume that this timed out.  The server is running version 7.4 (i
know it's an old version).

The database has several tables, but 99% of the data is located in a single
table.  My fear is that there's not enough system memory left to perform the
full vacuum since it's all contained in a single table.

Any ideas?