PLJava for Postgres 9.2.

From
Paul Hammond
Date:
Hi all,

I've downloaded PLJava, the latest version, which doesn't seem to have a binary distribution at all for 9.2, so I'm trying to build it from the source for Postgres 9.2. I have the DB itself installed on Windows 7 64 bit as a binary install. I've had to do a fair bit of hacking with the makefiles on cygwin to get PLJava to build, but I have succeeded in compiling the Java and JNI code, the pljava_all and deploy_all targets effectively.

But I'm coming unstuck at the next target where it's doing the target c_all. It's trying to find the following makefile in the Postgres dist:

<my postgres installation dir>/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/pgxs.mk: No such file or directory

What do I need to do to obtain the required files, and does anybody know why, given Postgres 9.2 is out some time, and 9.3 is in beta, why no prebuild binary PLJavas exist for 9.2?

Thanks,

Paul

Re: PLJava for Postgres 9.2.

From
John R Pierce
Date:
I've downloaded PLJava, the latest version, which doesn't seem to have a binary distribution at all for 9.2, so I'm trying to build it from the source for Postgres 9.2. I have the DB itself installed on Windows 7 64 bit as a binary install. I've had to do a fair bit of hacking with the makefiles on cygwin to get PLJava to build, but I have succeeded in compiling the Java and JNI code, the pljava_all and deploy_all targets effectively.

But I'm coming unstuck at the next target where it's doing the target c_all. It's trying to find the following makefile in the Postgres dist:

<my postgres installation dir>/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/pgxs.mk: No such file or directory

What do I need to do to obtain the required files, and does anybody know why, given Postgres 9.2 is out some time, and 9.3 is in beta, why no prebuild binary PLJavas exist for 9.2?

did you build your 9.2 with cygwin?   the standard windows binary distributions are built with VisualC, and mixing compilers is likely going to fail.

Anyways, if that pgxs stuff is missing, then your Postgres server was built without the pgxs option, I believe thats a ./configure option (--with-pgxs, or something like that?)

Re: [HACKERS] PLJava for Postgres 9.2.

From
Andrew Dunstan
Date:
On 05/16/2013 05:59 PM, Paul Hammond wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've downloaded PLJava, the latest version, which doesn't seem to have
> a binary distribution at all for 9.2, so I'm trying to build it from
> the source for Postgres 9.2. I have the DB itself installed on Windows
> 7 64 bit as a binary install. I've had to do a fair bit of hacking
> with the makefiles on cygwin to get PLJava to build, but I have
> succeeded in compiling the Java and JNI code, the pljava_all and
> deploy_all targets effectively.

Cygwin is not a recommended build platform for native Windows builds.
See the docs for the recommended ways to build Postgres.

> But I'm coming unstuck at the next target where it's doing the target
> c_all. It's trying to find the following makefile in the Postgres dist:
>
> <my postgres installation dir>/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/pgxs.mk: No such
> file or directory
>
> What do I need to do to obtain the required files, and does anybody
> know why, given Postgres 9.2 is out some time, and 9.3 is in beta, why
> no prebuild binary PLJavas exist for 9.2?

Because nobody has built them?

FYI, PL/Java is not maintained by the PostgreSQL project.

cheers

andrew

Re: PLJava for Postgres 9.2.

From