What's wrong with postgresql.org domain?

From
Eduardo Morras

I get Godaddy's page saying it's free

---   ---
Eduardo Morras <emorrasg@yahoo.es>

Re: What's wrong with postgresql.org domain?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Eduardo Morras <emorrasg@yahoo.es> wrote:

> I get Godaddy's page saying it's free

Really?

Whois shows it expires Oct 21 - and surely it will be renewed by then.
and godaddy says it's registered (though no details).

Any chance you just spelled it wrong?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: What's wrong with postgresql.org domain?

From
Chris Angelico
Date:
On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Eduardo Morras <emorrasg@yahoo.es> wrote:
>>

>> I get Godaddy's page saying it's free
>
> Really?
>
> Whois shows it expires Oct 21 - and surely it will be renewed by then.
> and godaddy says it's registered (though no details).
>
> Any chance you just spelled it wrong?

Works for me. Do a name lookup - what IP address do you get? I get:

postgresql.org.         17973   IN      A       217.196.149.50

www.postgresql.org.     269     IN      CNAME   www.mirrors.postgresql.org.
www.mirrors.postgresql.org. 870 IN      A       87.238.57.232
www.mirrors.postgresql.org. 870 IN      A       98.129.198.126
www.mirrors.postgresql.org. 870 IN      A       217.196.149.50

all of which seem to be responding correctly. It's possible you have
something hijacking DNS, or as Magnus suggested, a straight-forward
misspelling.

ChrisA

Date:
On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Eduardo Morras <emorrasg@yahoo.es> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 10:33:20 +0200
> Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Eduardo Morras <emorrasg@yahoo.es> wrote:
>> >

>> > I get Godaddy's page saying it's free
>>
>> Really?
>>
>> Whois shows it expires Oct 21 - and surely it will be renewed by then.
>> and godaddy says it's registered (though no details).
>>
>> Any chance you just spelled it wrong?
>>

> Retrying access it using a search engine:
>
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=postgresql
>
> PostgreSQL
>   [Official Site]
> postgresql.org   More from postgresql.org
>
> Welcome to: postgresql.org
> This Web page is parked for FREE, courtesy of GoDaddy.com.

> Don't know what happens.

Interesting. I thought duckduckgo was supposed to deliver the same
results to everybody, but I'm not getting that when I click your link.
Nothing about parked or godaddy.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: What's wrong with postgresql.org domain?

From
Eduardo Morrás
Date:
On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 18:40:40 +1000
Chris Angelico <rosuav@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Eduardo Morras <emorrasg@yahoo.es> wrote:
> >>

> >> I get Godaddy's page saying it's free
> >
> > Really?
> >
> > Whois shows it expires Oct 21 - and surely it will be renewed by then.
> > and godaddy says it's registered (though no details).
> >
> > Any chance you just spelled it wrong?
>
> Works for me. Do a name lookup - what IP address do you get? I get:
>
> postgresql.org.         17973   IN      A       217.196.149.50
>
> www.postgresql.org.     269     IN      CNAME   www.mirrors.postgresql.org.
> www.mirrors.postgresql.org. 870 IN      A       87.238.57.232
> www.mirrors.postgresql.org. 870 IN      A       98.129.198.126
> www.mirrors.postgresql.org. 870 IN      A       217.196.149.50
>
> all of which seem to be responding correctly. It's possible you have
> something hijacking DNS, or as Magnus suggested, a straight-forward
> misspelling.

I get :

camibar% nslookup postgresql.org
Server:         62.42.63.52
Address:        62.42.63.52#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   postgresql.org
Address: 217.196.149.50

Looks right, but i also get this screenshot after clearing caches:

http://imagebin.org/254474

If no one has the same issue, then something is rotten in/on my side.

> ChrisA

Thanks to all
---   ---

Date:
On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 8:32 PM, Eduardo Morrás <emorrasg@yahoo.es> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 18:40:40 +1000
> Chris Angelico <rosuav@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Works for me. Do a name lookup - what IP address do you get? I get:
>>
>> postgresql.org.         17973   IN      A       217.196.149.50
>>
>> www.postgresql.org.     269     IN      CNAME   www.mirrors.postgresql.org.
>> www.mirrors.postgresql.org. 870 IN      A       87.238.57.232
>> www.mirrors.postgresql.org. 870 IN      A       98.129.198.126
>> www.mirrors.postgresql.org. 870 IN      A       217.196.149.50
>>
>> all of which seem to be responding correctly. It's possible you have
>> something hijacking DNS, or as Magnus suggested, a straight-forward
>> misspelling.
>
> I get :
>
> camibar% nslookup postgresql.org
> Server:         62.42.63.52
> Address:        62.42.63.52#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:   postgresql.org
> Address: 217.196.149.50

That one's clearly fine. What about www.postgresql.org? It's possible
you have a poisoned cache for just that one record.

ChrisA

Re: What's wrong with postgresql.org domain?

From
Eduardo Morras
Date:
On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 20:35:37 +1000
Chris Angelico <rosuav@gmail.com> wrote:

> That one's clearly fine. What about www.postgresql.org? It's possible
> you have a poisoned cache for just that one record.
>
> ChrisA

I have clean all (dns, web cache, etc) and get:

camibar% nslookup www.postgresql.org
Server:         62.42.230.24
Address:        62.42.230.24#53

Non-authoritative answer:
www.postgresql.org      canonical name = www.mirrors.postgresql.org.
Name:   www.mirrors.postgresql.org
Address: 87.238.57.232
Name:   www.mirrors.postgresql.org
Address: 98.129.198.126
Name:   www.mirrors.postgresql.org
Address: 217.196.149.50

In 87.238.57.232 (Sweeden) 98.129.198.126(San Antonio,TX) and 217.196.149.50(Saltzburg) i get  lighttpd default page.

Perhaps a miss configuration on my ISPs dns.

I'll try with home connection this afternoon.

Thanks

---   ---
Eduardo Morras <emorrasg@yahoo.es>

Re: What's wrong with postgresql.org domain?

From
"Daniel Verite"
Date:
    Eduardo Morras wrote:

> In 87.238.57.232 (Sweeden) 98.129.198.126(San Antonio,TX) and
> 217.196.149.50(Saltzburg) i get  lighttpd default page.
>
> Perhaps a miss configuration on my ISPs dns.

These IP addresses look fine, but it's not unexpected that using them
directly in the browser's address bar doesn't get the postgresql.org
homepage.
Because depending on its configuration, the remote server may need the proper
HTTP Host field.

You could try this command line instead:
wget --header='Host: www.postgresql.org' 87.238.57.232

If it still fetches a domain parking page, there may be a proxy in-between
that is malfunctioning or playing dirty.

Best regards,
--
Daniel
PostgreSQL-powered mail user agent and storage: http://www.manitou-mail.org

Re: What's wrong with postgresql.org domain?

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
On 04/18/2013 01:08 PM, Eduardo Morras wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 20:35:37 +1000
> Chris Angelico <rosuav@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That one's clearly fine. What about www.postgresql.org? It's possible
>> you have a poisoned cache for just that one record.
>>
>> ChrisA
>
> I have clean all (dns, web cache, etc) and get:
>
> camibar% nslookup www.postgresql.org
> Server:         62.42.230.24
> Address:        62.42.230.24#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> www.postgresql.org      canonical name = www.mirrors.postgresql.org.
> Name:   www.mirrors.postgresql.org
> Address: 87.238.57.232
> Name:   www.mirrors.postgresql.org
> Address: 98.129.198.126
> Name:   www.mirrors.postgresql.org
> Address: 217.196.149.50

those are the correct IPv4-adddresses of all currently active postgresql
web frontends.

> In 87.238.57.232 (Sweeden) 98.129.198.126(San Antonio,TX) and 217.196.149.50(Saltzburg) i get  lighttpd default page.

this is expected if you are not sending a http host header for one of
our domains.

Stefan