Installing Postgress 8.0.5 in Ubuntu 10.12

From
Wan Hashim
Date:
Hi all;

Im looking for in information and resources  to setup postgresql 8.0.5
in Ubuntu server . tq

Re: Installing Postgress 8.0.5 in Ubuntu 10.12

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 02/11/2013 03:40 PM, Wan Hashim wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> Im looking for in information and resources  to setup postgresql 8.0.5
> in Ubuntu server . tq

Is there a reason you want to install a version that is no longer supported?

Also I believe you mean Ubuntu 12.10, correct?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Installing Postgress 8.0.5 in Ubuntu 10.12

From
Wan Hashim
Date:
our legacy system required postgresql 8.0 to run. we are in the
process of upgrading the application and database.
we must have postgresql 8.8 to keep the system running at this moment .
if possible , we want to run in Ubuntu 12. we can consider older
version of OS if it can help .

tq

--
Regards;

Wan Mohd Hashim Wan Yusoff
Object Expression Sdn Bhd
9-2, Jalan BPP 5/3, Pusat Bandar Putra Permai
Seri Kembangan Selangor
Tel : 03 8940 8385 Fax: 03 5021 9071
Mobile : 012 2055184

Date:
On 02/11/2013 04:29 PM, Wan Hashim wrote:
> our legacy system required postgresql 8.0 to run. we are in the
> process of upgrading the application and database.
> we must have postgresql 8.8 to keep the system running at this moment .
> if possible , we want to run in Ubuntu 12. we can consider older
> version of OS if it can help .

You will probably need to build from source.

Two choices the last release of 8.0.x:

http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v8.0.26/

If you need the exact version:

ftp://ftp-archives.postgresql.org/pub/source/

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Installing Postgress 8.0.5 in Ubuntu 10.12

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 2/11/2013 4:29 PM, Wan Hashim wrote:
> our legacy system required postgresql 8.0 to run.

are you sure it requires this old version?   most software works with
newer versions with little or no changes.

Re: Installing Postgress 8.0.5 in Ubuntu 10.12

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
The change from 8.0 to 8.1 that removed implicit casts broke a LOT of
poorly written software.

For OP: Install from source, if you don't need EXACTLY the old 8.0.5
version at least look at the bug fixed version 8.0.latest (28 or so?)

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 6:17 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 2/11/2013 4:29 PM, Wan Hashim wrote:
>>
>> our legacy system required postgresql 8.0 to run.
>

> are you sure it requires this old version?   most software works with newer
> versions with little or no changes.
>

> --
> john r pierce                                      37N 122W
> somewhere on the middle of the left coast

Re: Installing Postgress 8.0.5 in Ubuntu 10.12

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
Wait I think it was 8.2 wasn't it?

Date:
Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
> The change from 8.0 to 8.1 that removed implicit casts broke a LOT of
> poorly written software.

That was 8.3, not 8.1.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On 02/11/2013 06:59 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> Wait I think it was 8.2 wasn't it?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/release-8-3.html

E.24.2.1. General

Non-character data types are no longer automatically cast to TEXT
(Peter, Tom)

Previously, if a non-character value was supplied to an operator or
function that requires text input, it was automatically cast to text,
for most (though not all) built-in data types. This no longer happens:
an explicit cast to text is now required for all non-character-string
types. For example, these expressions formerly worked:

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Date:
On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 5:29 PM, Wan Hashim <whashim@gmail.com> wrote:
> our legacy system required postgresql 8.0 to run. we are in the
> process of upgrading the application and database.
> we must have postgresql 8.8 to keep the system running at this moment .
> if possible , we want to run in Ubuntu 12. we can consider older
> version of OS if it can help .

If you can at least look at going to 8.0.26.  there's almost 5 year of
bug fixes in 8.0.26 missing frm 8.0.5, many of them data corruption
bugs you really don't want to run into.

Re: Installing Postgress 8.0.5 in Ubuntu 10.12

From
Wan Hashim
Date:
Postgresql 8.0.5 has been successfully installed in Ubuntu 10 . thank you to all

> second line should be
>
> sudo apt-get install libreadline-dev
>
> of course.  unless you're logged in as root.
>
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 12:26 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Not from a package.  I don't think any recent distros have a repo with
>> 8.0 in it, so you'll have to build from source.  HOWEVER, building
>> from source is REAL easy with postgresql.
>>
>> sudo apt-get install build-essential  # ubuntu build tools
>> apt-get install libreadline-dev  # used by pgsql to have an editable
>> command line
>> tar xvzf postgresql-8.0.26.tar.gz
>> cd postgresql-8.0.26
>> ./configure --prefix=/opt/postgres    # or wherever you want pg to install
>> make
>> sudo make install
>>
>> tada!  source install.  Note that you might need whatever tools you
>> use to build software on your distro.  On Ubuntu it's called
>> build-essential not sure what it's called on other distros.
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 12:19 AM, whashim@gmail.com <whashim@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I believe the software can work with any postgresql 8.0.* . It is
>>> possible
>>> to install pg 8.0  in current release of linux?
>>>
>>> Sent from my HTC

Vick Khera
Date:
On Feb 11, 2013, at 8:18 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:

> are you sure it requires this old version?   most software works with newer versions with little or no changes.

There are some implicit casting changes that broke some of my code
when 8.2 came out. Ever since then there have been no issues for my
applications in updating versions.

Re: Installing Postgress 8.0.5 in Ubuntu 10.12

From
Albe Laurenz
Date:
Vick Khera wrote:
> There are some implicit casting changes that broke some of my code
> when 8.2 came out.

You mean 8.3, right?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Date:
On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 3:15 AM, Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at>wrote:

> Vick Khera wrote:
> > There are some implicit casting changes that broke some of my code
> > when 8.2 came out.
>
> You mean 8.3, right?

Based on further discussion in this thread, yes.