PG V9 on NFS

From
"Gauthier, Dave"
Date:
Can PG V9.1* support a DB that's on an NFS disk?
I googled around, but nothing popped out.
Also, would you happen to know the answer to this for MySQL v5.5*?
Thanks in Advance.

Re: PG V9 on NFS

From
Karl Denninger
Date:
On 2/11/2013 4:22 PM, Gauthier, Dave wrote:

> Can PG V9.1* support a DB that's on an NFS disk?
>
> I googled around, but nothing popped out.
>
> Also, would you happen to know the answer to this for MySQL v5.5*?
>
> Thanks in Advance.

That would be (IMHO) very ill-advised.  In the event of a disruption
between the two systems you're virtually guaranteed to suffer data
corruption which is (much worse) rather likely to go undetected.

--=20
-- Karl Denninger
/The Market Ticker =AE/ <http://market-ticker.org>
Cuda Systems LLC

Re: PG V9 on NFS

From
Scott Mead
Date:
On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Gauthier, Dave <dave.gauthier@intel.com>wrote:

>  Can PG V9.1* support a DB that's on an NFS disk?****
>
> I googled around, but nothing popped out.****
>
> Also, would you happen to know the answer to this for MySQL v5.5*? ****
>
> Thanks in Advance.

I've done this before, and I really wish I hadn't.  NFS has gotten speedier
and more reliable, but the tendency to lock up an entire system and crash
unexpectedly is still there.  The other thing with NFS is that it is a lot
easier for people to try and run multi-headed clusters ( which, isn't
supported in postgres and will cause corruption if you do it).  If network
based storage is really a need, take a look at iSCSI or ATA over ethernet.
 I've had great luck there.

--Scott

Re: PG V9 on NFS

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

On Mon, 2013-02-11 at 22:22 +0000, Gauthier, Dave wrote:
> Can PG V9.1* support a DB that's on an NFS disk?

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/25517.1191038302@sss.pgh.pa.us

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: PG V9 on NFS

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 2:25 AM, Devrim G=DCND=DCZ <devrim@gunduz.org> wrot=
e:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2013-02-11 at 22:22 +0000, Gauthier, Dave wrote:
>> Can PG V9.1* support a DB that's on an NFS disk?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/25517.1191038302@sss.pgh.pa.us

Note that that email is more than 5 years old. A lot has happened in
the linux kernel since then.

It's perfectly possible to run PostgreSQL reliable on NFS. But it's
quite hard to set all the parameters correct to get both decent
performance and some sort of reliability. And it's very easy to get it
wrong, and end up with data corruption. If you don't know exactly what
to do there, I would definitely advice you not to try it.

And don't even consider it without a high-end dedicated filer as the backen=
d.

--=20
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: PG V9 on NFS

From
"Gauthier, Dave"
Date:
T0ssIHdpdGggdGhlIGhlbHAgb2YgdGhpcyBmZWVkYmFjaywgdGhleSBjYXZlZCBhbmQgd2lsbCBr
ZWVwIGl0IGxvY2FsIHN0b3JhZ2UuDQpUaGFua3MgIQ0K

Re: PG V9 on NFS

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 2/12/2013 5:28 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> And don't even consider it without a high-end dedicated filer as the backend.

Oracle supports a Netapp Filer with NFSv4, and a specific set of
configurations.    they don't support anything else NFS last I heard.
whats good for Oracle is generally good for Postgres.

of course, Netapp Filer is some of the most expensive storage per
gigabyte you'll ever deal with.

Re: PG V9 on NFS

From
Albe Laurenz
Date:
John R Pierce wrote:
> Oracle supports a Netapp Filer with NFSv4, and a specific set of
> configurations.    they don't support anything else NFS last I heard.
> whats good for Oracle is generally good for Postgres.

Oracle supports NFS everywhere except on Windows.
The new "direct NFS" feature (where the database server
acts as NFS client) does not support NFS v4, but
other than that it is supported.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe