Tcl & PG on Win 7 64 bit - is it working for anyone?

From
"Carlo Stonebanks"
Date:
I have been trying to get the Tcl package for client applications PgTcl to
work for some time now. I have tried the SourceForge pgtclng 2.0 project, I
have recompiled it with MinGW-64, I have installed PG 9.1.8 64 bit and made
sure  PATH points to its lib folder so it can find libpq.dll. NO matter what
I try, the Tcl command 'load libpgtcl' returns: 'couldn't load library
"libpgtcl": invalid argument'

The "Pure Tcl interface" pgintcl package works on Win 7 64, but is very slow
to load so I imagine slow to run as well.

If anyone is running Tcl client apps to access PostgreSQL on Win 7 64 using
I would love to hear about it.

Thanks,

Carlo

Re: Tcl & PG on Win 7 64 bit - is it working for anyone?

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 02/09/2013 09:52 AM, Carlo Stonebanks wrote:
> I have been trying to get the Tcl package for client applications PgTcl
> to work for some time now. I have tried the SourceForge pgtclng 2.0
> project, I have recompiled it with MinGW-64, I have installed PG 9.1.8
> 64 bit and made sure  PATH points to its lib folder so it can find
> libpq.dll. NO matter what I try, the Tcl command ‘load libpgtcl’
> returns: ‘couldn't load library "libpgtcl": invalid argument’

It would seem you need to point the PATH at libpgtcl(.dll) also.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Tcl & PG on Win 7 64 bit - is it working for anyone?

From
"Carlo Stonebanks"
Date:
I am actually in the same folder as the libpgtcl.dll, and that particular
failure would raise a different error in any case:

'couldn't load library "libpgtc": this library or a dependent library could
not be found in library path'

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Date:
On 02/09/2013 09:39 PM, Carlo Stonebanks wrote:
> I am actually in the same folder as the libpgtcl.dll, and that particular
> failure would raise a different error in any case:
>
> 'couldn't load library "libpgtc": this library or a dependent library could
> not be found in library path'

I did find this thread:

http://pgtclng.sourceforge.net/thread1.html

I do not see a definitive answer in it, but there are some
troubleshooting tips.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Tcl & PG on Win 7 64 bit - is it working for anyone?

From
"Carlo Stonebanks"
Date:
I had seen that thread, and that's how I came in contact with L J Bayuk (the
person who owns the pgtclng sourceforge project and who answered the
questions) and followed his advice, which is how I came to create the 64 bit
build. I am still experiencing problems.

It's possible that I have missed something, but I have been scouring the
internet for a solution before I posted this. In the meantime, I just need
proof that SOMEONE has gotten Tcl to talk to PG in Win 7 x64 - then maybe I
can work towards a solution.

Date:
On 02/11/2013 08:18 AM, Carlo Stonebanks wrote:
> I had seen that thread, and that's how I came in contact with L J Bayuk (the
> person who owns the pgtclng sourceforge project and who answered the
> questions) and followed his advice, which is how I came to create the 64 bit
> build. I am still experiencing problems.
>
> It's possible that I have missed something, but I have been scouring the
> internet for a solution before I posted this. In the meantime, I just need
> proof that SOMEONE has gotten Tcl to talk to PG in Win 7 x64 - then maybe I
> can work towards a solution.

Well we have moved past my Windows knowledge. Good luck.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Tcl & PG on Win 7 64 bit - is it working for anyone?

From
"Carlo Stonebanks"
Date:
I have found the only certain way to get PG and TCL to talk to each other
with Win 7 x64 (and perhaps all other x64 environments) is to go 32-bit all
the way.

32 bit ActiveState Tcl 8.5.13,
PG 32 bit (9.1) client interface - libpq.dll
Win32 build Pgtcl driver from the sourceforge pgtclng project v2.0.0 from
https://sourceforge.net/projects/pgtclng/files/pgtclng/

If anyone manages to get a driver that works with Tcl & the PG 64-bit
client, I would love to hear about it.