Large number of rows in pg_type and slow gui (pgadmin) refresh

From
"Robert Klaus"

We have 36,000+ rows returned by " SELECT oid, format_type(oid, typtypmod) AS typname FROM pg_type".

My manager says this is only a small number compared to what is expected by next summer.

When I run this select statement on the database server it returns in under 1 second but it takes a minute to open some tabs using pgAmin III (1.16.1).

Is there a workaround for this - most of the rows returned are from one schema.  If we could elimiate it from the listed schemas it would help.  Is this possible in pgAdmin III?

Our database server is at 8.4

Robert

Nexgen Wireless, Inc.

Schaumburg, IL

Re: Large number of rows in pg_type and slow gui (pgadmin) refresh

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
Robert Klaus wrote on 03.01.2013 16:50:
> We have 36,000+ rows returned by " SELECT oid, format_type(oid,
> typtypmod) AS typname FROM pg_type".
>
> My manager says this is only a small number compared to what is
> expected by next summer.

Why do you need so many types?
That sounds like something in your design is not right.

> When I run this select statement on the database server it returns in
> under 1 second but it takes a minute to open some tabs using pgAmin
> III (1.16.1).
>
> Is there a workaround for this - most of the rows returned are from
> one schema.  If we could elimiate it from the listed schemas it would
> help.  Is this possible in pgAdmin III?

That sounds more like a pgAdmin problem and not a PostgreSQL problem.

Thomas

Re: Large number of rows in pg_type and slow gui (pgadmin) refresh

From
"Robert Klaus"
Date:
Yes, I consider it a tool issue and not a database issue.  Is there
somewhere else I should be posting this to?

Thanks,
Robert

Date:
Robert Klaus wrote on 03.01.2013 18:45:
> Yes, I consider it a tool issue and not a database issue.  Is there
> somewhere else I should be posting this to?

Thomas

Re: Large number of rows in pg_type and slow gui (pgadmin) refresh

From
Igor Neyman

Probably those are not the types Robert created explicitly.
There must be lots of tables/views (m.b. lots of partitions) in the database.  Every table/view adds couple records to
pg_type:one type for table/view record and one type the set (array) of table/view records.

Regards,
Igor Neyman