Expensive log_line_prefix ?

From
"Sahagian, David"

In 9.1.x

Are there any "extra" costs to logging all this cool stuff ?

     log_line_prefix = '%m %a %u %p %c %m %v %x'

Are any of these expensive ?

Or is the only cost the number of bytes that the textual representation of their values take in the written log file ?

Thanks,

-dvs-

Re: Expensive log_line_prefix ?

From
Sergey Konoplev
Date:
On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Sahagian, David
<david.sahagian@emc.com> wrote:
> Are there any "extra" costs to logging all this cool stuff ?
>
>      log_line_prefix = '%m %a %u %p %c %m %v %x'

The formatting cost only but it is so insignificant that does not
worth bothering with it.

--
Sergey Konoplev

a database and software architect
http://www.linkedin.com/in/grayhemp

Jabber: gray.ru@gmail.com Skype: gray-hemp Phone: +14158679984

Re: Expensive log_line_prefix ?

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 10/11/12 2:57 PM, Sergey Konoplev wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Sahagian, David
> <david.sahagian@emc.com>  wrote:
>> >Are there any "extra" costs to logging all this cool stuff ?
>> >
>> >      log_line_prefix = '%m %a %u %p %c %m %v %x'
> The formatting cost only but it is so insignificant that does not
> worth bothering with it.

i'd think the time spent writing the extra output to the log file would
be the most significant part of it, along with any disk IO contention if
those logs are on the same physical storage as the database.

Re: Expensive log_line_prefix ?

Date:
Sergey Konoplev <gray.ru@gmail.com> writes:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Sahagian, David
> <david.sahagian@emc.com> wrote:
>> Are there any "extra" costs to logging all this cool stuff ?
>>
>> log_line_prefix = '%m %a %u %p %c %m %v %x'

> The formatting cost only but it is so insignificant that does not
> worth bothering with it.

IIRC, %m would imply a gettimeofday call, which might be expensive
depending on your OS and hardware.  I think all the other info is
"just sitting around", though.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Expensive log_line_prefix ?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Tom Lane escribió:
> Sergey Konoplev <gray.ru@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Sahagian, David
> > <david.sahagian@emc.com> wrote:
> >> Are there any "extra" costs to logging all this cool stuff ?
> >>
> >> log_line_prefix = '%m %a %u %p %c %m %v %x'
>
> > The formatting cost only but it is so insignificant that does not
> > worth bothering with it.
>
> IIRC, %m would imply a gettimeofday call, which might be expensive
> depending on your OS and hardware.  I think all the other info is
> "just sitting around", though.

Yeah, and having two %m means two gettimeofday calls.

Also, %c sort of implies %p, so having both is probably just a waste.

One other point is that it's probably a good idea to put in a %q in
there so that processes that don't have things like %v, %x don't have to
print a bunch of zeros (and also to prevent %a, %u from adding spaces
unnecessarily).