Re: Expensive log_line_prefix ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Expensive log_line_prefix ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane escribió:
> Sergey Konoplev <gray.ru@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Sahagian, David
> > <david.sahagian@emc.com> wrote:
> >> Are there any "extra" costs to logging all this cool stuff ?
> >>
> >> log_line_prefix = '%m %a %u %p %c %m %v %x'
>
> > The formatting cost only but it is so insignificant that does not
> > worth bothering with it.
>
> IIRC, %m would imply a gettimeofday call, which might be expensive
> depending on your OS and hardware.  I think all the other info is
> "just sitting around", though.

Yeah, and having two %m means two gettimeofday calls.

Also, %c sort of implies %p, so having both is probably just a waste.

One other point is that it's probably a good idea to put in a %q in
there so that processes that don't have things like %v, %x don't have to
print a bunch of zeros (and also to prevent %a, %u from adding spaces
unnecessarily).