current thinking on Amazon EC2?

From
"Welty, Richard"

i just finished this thread from May of last year, and am wondering if this still represents consensus thinking about postgresql deployments in the EC2 cloud:

http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/amazon-ec2-td4368036.html

thanks,
   richard

Re: current thinking on Amazon EC2?

From
Ben Chobot
Date:
i just finished this thread from May of last year, and am wondering if this still represents consensus thinking about postgresql deployments in the EC2 cloud:

http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/amazon-ec2-td4368036.html

Yes, I believe that still sums up the situation pretty well.

Re: current thinking on Amazon EC2?

From
Mike Christensen
Date:
On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Ben Chobot <bench@silentmedia.com> wrote:
> On Mar 19, 2012, at 10:59 AM, Welty, Richard wrote:
>
> i just finished this thread from May of last year, and am wondering if this
> still represents consensus thinking about postgresql deployments in the EC2
> cloud:
>
> http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/amazon-ec2-td4368036.html
>

> Yes, I believe that still sums up the situation pretty well.

I've been running my site on RackSpace CloudServers (similar to EC2)
and have been getting pretty good performance, though I don't have
huge amounts of database load.

One advantage, though, is RackSpace allows for hybrid solutions so I
could potentially lease a dedicated server and continue to host my web
frontend servers on the cloud.

On Mon 3/19/2012 4:30 PM Mike Christensen writes:

>I've been running my site on RackSpace CloudServers (similar to EC2)
>and have been getting pretty good performance, though I don't have
>huge amounts of database load.

>One advantage, though, is RackSpace allows for hybrid solutions so I
>could potentially lease a dedicated server and continue to host my web
>frontend servers on the cloud.

that's good to know, although for the project i'm working on, EC2 is
what we have to work with, good parts and bad parts and all.

Date:
> On Mon 3/19/2012 4:30 PM Mike Christensen writes:
>
>>I've been running my site on RackSpace CloudServers (similar to EC2)
>>and have been getting pretty good performance, though I don't have
>>huge amounts of database load.
>
>>One advantage, though, is RackSpace allows for hybrid solutions so I
>>could potentially lease a dedicated server and continue to host my web
>>frontend servers on the cloud.
>
> that's good to know, although for the project i'm working on, EC2 is
> what we have to work with, good parts and bad parts and all.

I know Heroku is built on EC2 and runs Postgres, so I would assume
they've got it set up to get pretty good performance..

Re: current thinking on Amazon EC2?

From
Simon Tokumine
Date:
On Mar 19, 2012, at 10:59 AM, Welty, Richard wrote:

> i just finished this thread from May of last year, and am wondering if this still represents consensus thinking about
postgresqldeployments in the EC2 cloud:

> http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/amazon-ec2-td4368036.html
>
> Yes, I believe that still sums up the situation pretty well.

In the past when forced onto EC2 we have had good success using a
combination of Raid 1/0'ed ephemeral storage and WAL shipping to S3
(https://github.com/heroku/WAL-E). You have to design around the
potential for the ephemeral disks to go away, but you get much more
rational performance compared to EBS and also storage space isn't
charged.