Re: Stability in Windows?

From
Date:
We are using it on a rather beefy server with no problems with a Win32
client/server app.  There are additonal things you can do to tune the
database.  I've not seen any stability problems.  Remember it's been
several years since version 8 came out and the current version is 9.1.2.

Michael Gould
Intermodal Software Solutions, LLC
904-226-0978

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [GENERAL] Stability in Windows?
From: Durumdara <durumdara@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, February 24, 2012 8:39 am
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org

Hi!

We planned to port some very old DBASE db into PGSQL.

But somebody said in a developer list that he tried with PGSQL (8.x) and
it was very unstable in Windows (and it have problem when many users use
it).

Another people also said that they used PGSQL only in Linux - and there
is no problem with it, only some patches needed for speeding up
writes...

What is your experience in this theme?

Do you also have same experience in Windows?

The user number is from 20 to up 100 (concurrently).

Thanks for your every idea, help, link, information about this.

Regards:
   dd

Re: Stability in Windows?

From
Serge Fonville

Kind regards/met vriendelijke groet,

Serge Fonville

http://www.sergefonville.nl

Convince Google!!
They need to add GAL support on Android (star to agree)
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=4602

[...]

Durumdara
Date:
Hi!

We are using it on a rather beefy server with no problems with a Win32
client/server app.

Which programming language you use in clients? Which adapter?

If Delphi then which components?

 There are additonal things you can do to tune the
database.

Some word please about it!

 I've not seen any stability problems.  Remember it's been
several years since version 8 came out and the current version is 9.1.2.

How many users use it concurrently?

Thanks for your info:
   dd

Re: Stability in Windows?

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 8:53 AM,  <mgould@isstrucksoftware.net> wrote:
> We are using it on a rather beefy server with no problems with a Win32
> client/server app.  There are additonal things you can do to tune the
> database.  I've not seen any stability problems.  Remember it's been
> several years since version 8 came out and the current version is 9.1.2.

Also there were known, unfixable architecture bugs in 8.1 windows
pgsql and it was abandoned because of that.

Generally, stability is pretty good as long as you don't get the
dreaded "could not reattach to shared memory" issue.  Not sure if that
ever got truly fixed or not.  Performance on the other hand, is where
running on unix or linux is a big help.  For 20 windows should be
fine.  For 200 I'd rather run it on linux.

Re: Stability in Windows?

From
Serge Fonville
Date:
Doesn't  http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Running_%26_Installing_PostgreSQL_On_Native_Windows#I_cannot_run_with_more_than_about_125_connections_at_once.2C_despite_having_capable_hardware  apply?

[...]

Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 17:05, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 8:53 AM,  <mgould@isstrucksoftware.net> wrote:
>> We are using it on a rather beefy server with no problems with a Win32
>> client/server app.  There are additonal things you can do to tune the
>> database.  I've not seen any stability problems.  Remember it's been
>> several years since version 8 came out and the current version is 9.1.2.
>
> Also there were known, unfixable architecture bugs in 8.1 windows
> pgsql and it was abandoned because of that.
>
> Generally, stability is pretty good as long as you don't get the
> dreaded "could not reattach to shared memory" issue.  Not sure if that

We believe that issue has been fixed. And I don't recall having heard
any such bug reports at all since the last fix went in....

There might still be some cornercase of course, but in general it
should be solved.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Stability in Windows?

From
"Igor Neyman"

“125_connections” – this is a problem related to “older” PG versions (and in my own experience, the number is closer to 230, not 125), and I believe it was fixed in newer versions.

Besides, it’s much more efficient to use connection pulling (PgBouncer, PgPool), when dealing with that many connections.

For last 5 years we are running PG on many, many (hundreds) servers under WIN, and we have no complains regarding PG stability.

Regards,

Igor Neyman

Date:
On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Igor Neyman <ineyman@perceptron.com> wrote:
> “125_connections” – this is a problem related to “older” PG versions (and in
> my own experience, the number is closer to 230, not 125), and I believe it
> was fixed in newer versions.
>
> Besides, it’s much more efficient to use connection pulling (PgBouncer,
> PgPool), when dealing with that many connections.

Agreed.  Note that in some big environments you're using pgbouncer to
reduce thousands of connections to a few hundred.  In those instances.
 At that point having 40+ cores and running on unix becomes necessary
for performance with pgsql.