compression of query and result data in tcp socket connections

From
Oguz Yilmaz
Date:
Hi,

We need some handy method for compression of pgsql communication on
port 5432. For my case, database is available over the internet and
application logic has to reach the database remotely.

I have searched for it and found those threads:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-05/msg00752.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2010-08/msg00003.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-03/msg00664.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-05/msg01318.php

Some suggested ssh tunneling for the compression as a wrapper. However
this requires having to open ssh tunnels seperately for each remote db
server. So this is not much handy for us.

Is it possible to include compression on tcp db connection through a
way which is more internal to postgresql.

Best Regards,

--
Oguz YILMAZ

Re: compression of query and result data in tcp socket connections

From
Radosław Smogura
Date:
On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 14:23:12 +0300, Oguz Yilmaz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We need some handy method for compression of pgsql communication on
> port 5432. For my case, database is available over the internet and
> application logic has to reach the database remotely.
>
> I have searched for it and found those threads:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-05/msg00752.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2010-08/msg00003.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-03/msg00664.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-05/msg01318.php
>
> Some suggested ssh tunneling for the compression as a wrapper.
> However
> this requires having to open ssh tunnels seperately for each remote
> db
> server. So this is not much handy for us.
No, there is no such support.

But if you don't want ssh, You may try IPSEC VPN for e.g. with IKEv2,
unless You are behind firewall compression may be enabled.

Regards,
Radosław Smogura