passing cursors from one PL function to another

From
Martín Marqués
Date:
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION prueba_cursor(codigo integer, curCursor refcursor)
   RETURNS SETOF refcursor AS
$BODY$
DECLARE
       cur alias for $2;
BEGIN
       PERFORM mpf.ConstruyeCursorDesdeQuery('cur' ,'SELECT * from
tab1 WHERE field < 11000');
END;
$BODY$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE
COST 100
ROWS 1000;

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION construyecursordesdequery(refcursor, query text)
   RETURNS SETOF refcursor AS
$BODY$
BEGIN
   OPEN $1 FOR Select * from tab1 where field < 11000;
   RAISE NOTICE '%', $1;
   RETURN NEXT $1;
END;
$BODY$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE
COST 100
ROWS 1000;

begin;
select * from prueba_cursor4(1, 'h');
end;

--
Martín Marqués
DBA, Programador, Administrador

Re: passing cursors from one PL function to another

From
Martín Marqués
Date:
Sorry, pressed send. :-(

I have, as the functions show below, 2 functions that call one
another, passing a cursor (AFAIK). The problem is that it doesn't
work, giving errors when executing the last SELECT.

Is it posible to pass a cursor from one function to another?

El día 25 de agosto de 2011 21:46, Martín Marqués
<martin.marques@gmail.com> escribió:
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION prueba_cursor(codigo integer, curCursor refcursor)
>   RETURNS SETOF refcursor AS
> $BODY$
> DECLARE
>       cur alias for $2;
> BEGIN
>       PERFORM mpf.ConstruyeCursorDesdeQuery('cur' ,'SELECT * from
> tab1 WHERE field < 11000');
> END;
> $BODY$
> LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE
> COST 100
> ROWS 1000;
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION construyecursordesdequery(refcursor, query text)
>   RETURNS SETOF refcursor AS
> $BODY$
> BEGIN
>   OPEN $1 FOR Select * from tab1 where field < 11000;
>   RAISE NOTICE '%', $1;
>   RETURN NEXT $1;
> END;
> $BODY$
> LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE
> COST 100
> ROWS 1000;
>
> begin;
> select * from prueba_cursor4(1, 'h');
> end;
>

> --
> Martín Marqués
> select 'martin.marques' || '@' || 'gmail.com'
> DBA, Programador, Administrador

--
Martín Marqués
DBA, Programador, Administrador

Re: passing cursors from one PL function to another

From
Merlin Moncure
Date:
2011/8/25 Martín Marqués <martin.marques@gmail.com>:
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION prueba_cursor(codigo integer, curCursor refcursor)
>   RETURNS SETOF refcursor AS
> $BODY$
> DECLARE
>       cur alias for $2;
> BEGIN
>       PERFORM mpf.ConstruyeCursorDesdeQuery('cur' ,'SELECT * from
> tab1 WHERE field < 11000');
> END;
> $BODY$
> LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE
> COST 100
> ROWS 1000;
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION construyecursordesdequery(refcursor, query text)
>   RETURNS SETOF refcursor AS
> $BODY$
> BEGIN
>   OPEN $1 FOR Select * from tab1 where field < 11000;
>   RAISE NOTICE '%', $1;
>   RETURN NEXT $1;
> END;
> $BODY$
> LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE
> COST 100
> ROWS 1000;
>
> begin;
> select * from prueba_cursor4(1, 'h');
> end;

you pretty much had it.
> select * from prueba_cursor4(1, 'h');
should be
> select * from prueba_cursor(1, 'h');

after that, but inside the transaction, you can just do:
fetch all from 'cur';

note neither of your functions need to return setof fwict.  you are
returning one cursor, not a set of them.

merlin

Date:
El día 26 de agosto de 2011 00:04, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> escribió:
> 2011/8/25 Martín Marqués <martin.marques@gmail.com>:
>> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION prueba_cursor(codigo integer, curCursor refcursor)
>>   RETURNS SETOF refcursor AS
>> $BODY$
>> DECLARE
>>       cur alias for $2;
>> BEGIN
>>       PERFORM mpf.ConstruyeCursorDesdeQuery('cur' ,'SELECT * from
>> tab1 WHERE field < 11000');
>> END;
>> $BODY$
>> LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE
>> COST 100
>> ROWS 1000;>
>> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION construyecursordesdequery(refcursor, query text)
>>   RETURNS SETOF refcursor AS
>> $BODY$
>> BEGIN
>>   OPEN $1 FOR Select * from tab1 where field < 11000;
>>   RAISE NOTICE '%', $1;
>>   RETURN NEXT $1;
>> END;
>> $BODY$
>> LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE
>> COST 100
>> ROWS 1000;
>>
>> begin;
>> select * from prueba_cursor4(1, 'h');
>> end;
>
> you pretty much had it.
>> select * from prueba_cursor4(1, 'h');
> should be
>> select * from prueba_cursor(1, 'h');
>
> after that, but inside the transaction, you can just do:
> fetch all from 'cur';

That was a typo related with copy & paste. Sorry.

> note neither of your functions need to return setof fwict.  you are
> returning one cursor, not a set of them.

That's because originally I was trying to get more then one cursor.

Anyway, I was getting an annoying error on a windows server, and now
that I test it on my Linux installation it works like a charm.

Could it be that I was making changes to the functions and not
dropping them before recreating?

--

Date:
2011/8/26 Martín Marqués <martin.marques@gmail.com>:
> El día 26 de agosto de 2011 00:04, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> escribió:
>> 2011/8/25 Martín Marqués <martin.marques@gmail.com>:
>>> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION prueba_cursor(codigo integer, curCursor refcursor)
>>>   RETURNS SETOF refcursor AS
>>> $BODY$
>>> DECLARE
>>>       cur alias for $2;
>>> BEGIN
>>>       PERFORM mpf.ConstruyeCursorDesdeQuery('cur' ,'SELECT * from
>>> tab1 WHERE field < 11000');
>>> END;
>>> $BODY$
>>> LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE
>>> COST 100
>>> ROWS 1000;>
>>> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION construyecursordesdequery(refcursor, query text)
>>>   RETURNS SETOF refcursor AS
>>> $BODY$
>>> BEGIN
>>>   OPEN $1 FOR Select * from tab1 where field < 11000;
>>>   RAISE NOTICE '%', $1;
>>>   RETURN NEXT $1;
>>> END;
>>> $BODY$
>>> LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE
>>> COST 100
>>> ROWS 1000;
>>>
>>> begin;
>>> select * from prueba_cursor4(1, 'h');
>>> end;
>>
>> you pretty much had it.
>>> select * from prueba_cursor4(1, 'h');
>> should be
>>> select * from prueba_cursor(1, 'h');
>>
>> after that, but inside the transaction, you can just do:
>> fetch all from 'cur';
>
> That was a typo related with copy & paste. Sorry.
>
>> note neither of your functions need to return setof fwict.  you are
>> returning one cursor, not a set of them.
>
> That's because originally I was trying to get more then one cursor.
>
> Anyway, I was getting an annoying error on a windows server, and now
> that I test it on my Linux installation it works like a charm.
>
> Could it be that I was making changes to the functions and not
> dropping them before recreating?

not likely -- got the error text?.

merlin

Date:
El día 26 de agosto de 2011 09:15, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> escribió:
> 2011/8/26 Martín Marqués <martin.marques@gmail.com>:

>>> you pretty much had it.
>>> should be
>>>
>>> after that, but inside the transaction, you can just do:
>>> fetch all from 'cur';
>>
>> That was a typo related with copy & paste. Sorry.
>>
>>> note neither of your functions need to return setof fwict.  you are
>>> returning one cursor, not a set of them.
>>
>> That's because originally I was trying to get more then one cursor.
>>
>> Anyway, I was getting an annoying error on a windows server, and now
>> that I test it on my Linux installation it works like a charm.
>>
>> Could it be that I was making changes to the functions and not
>> dropping them before recreating?
>
> not likely -- got the error text?.

The error is version related. On 8.4, it works great. But with 8.3
(which is the version being used in production) I get this:

# select * from prueba_cursor(1, 'a');
ERROR:  se llamó una función que retorna un conjunto en un contexto
que no puede aceptarlo
CONTEXTO:  PL/pgSQL function "construyecursordesdequery" line 3 at RETURN NEXT
sentencia SQL: «SELECT  construyeCursorDesdeQuery( $1  ,'SELECT * from
tab1 WHERE field < 11000')»
PL/pgSQL function "prueba_cursor" line 3 at PERFORM

Why does it work on 8.4 and not on 8.3? Any work around that doesn't
involve upgradeing the DB server?

--
Martín Marqués
DBA, Programador, Administrador

Re: passing cursors from one PL function to another

From
Martín Marqués
Date:
Actually, what we are trying to do is return 2 recordsets with the
same function call (simulate SP from SQL Server returning 2
recordsets).

I found out that I had to do PERFORM * FROM construyecursordesdequery($1, query)
which works now, but can't run 2 different queries on the same cursor.

I was able to do it on 8.4, but not on 8.3.

El día 29 de agosto de 2011 13:48, Martín Marqués
<martin.marques@gmail.com> escribió:
> El día 26 de agosto de 2011 09:15, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> escribió:

>>> That was a typo related with copy & paste. Sorry.

>>> That's because originally I was trying to get more then one cursor.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I was getting an annoying error on a windows server, and now
>>> that I test it on my Linux installation it works like a charm.
>>>
>>> Could it be that I was making changes to the functions and not
>>> dropping them before recreating?
>>
>> not likely -- got the error text?.
>
> The error is version related. On 8.4, it works great. But with 8.3
> (which is the version being used in production) I get this:
>

> # select * from prueba_cursor(1, 'a');
> ERROR:  se llamó una función que retorna un conjunto en un contexto
> que no puede aceptarlo
> CONTEXTO:  PL/pgSQL function "construyecursordesdequery" line 3 at RETURN NEXT
> sentencia SQL: «SELECT  construyeCursorDesdeQuery( $1  ,'SELECT * from
> tab1 WHERE field < 11000')»
> PL/pgSQL function "prueba_cursor" line 3 at PERFORM
>

> Why does it work on 8.4 and not on 8.3? Any work around that doesn't
> involve upgradeing the DB server?
>
> --
> Martín Marqués
> select 'martin.marques' || '@' || 'gmail.com'
> DBA, Programador, Administrador

--
Martín Marqués
DBA, Programador, Administrador

Re: passing cursors from one PL function to another

From
Pavel Stehule
Date:
2011/8/29 Martín Marqués <martin.marques@gmail.com>:
> Actually, what we are trying to do is return 2 recordsets with the
> same function call (simulate SP from SQL Server returning 2
> recordsets).
>
> I found out that I had to do PERFORM * FROM construyecursordesdequery($1, query)
> which works now, but can't run 2 different queries on the same cursor.

in your example you use a static cursor.

Pavel

> I was able to do it on 8.4, but not on 8.3.
>
> El día 29 de agosto de 2011 13:48, Martín Marqués
> <martin.marques@gmail.com> escribió:

>>> not likely -- got the error text?.
>>
>> The error is version related. On 8.4, it works great. But with 8.3
>> (which is the version being used in production) I get this:
>>

>> # select * from prueba_cursor(1, 'a');
>> ERROR:  se llamó una función que retorna un conjunto en un contexto
>> que no puede aceptarlo
>> CONTEXTO:  PL/pgSQL function "construyecursordesdequery" line 3 at RETURN NEXT
>> sentencia SQL: «SELECT  construyeCursorDesdeQuery( $1  ,'SELECT * from
>> tab1 WHERE field < 11000')»
>> PL/pgSQL function "prueba_cursor" line 3 at PERFORM
>>

>> Why does it work on 8.4 and not on 8.3? Any work around that doesn't
>> involve upgradeing the DB server?
>>
>> --
>> Martín Marqués
>> select 'martin.marques' || '@' || 'gmail.com'
>> DBA, Programador, Administrador
>>

> --
> Martín Marqués
> select 'martin.marques' || '@' || 'gmail.com'
> DBA, Programador, Administrador

Re: passing cursors from one PL function to another

From
Martín Marqués
Date:
El día 29 de agosto de 2011 15:28, Pavel Stehule
<pavel.stehule@gmail.com> escribió:
> 2011/8/29 Martín Marqués <martin.marques@gmail.com>:
>> Actually, what we are trying to do is return 2 recordsets with the
>> same function call (simulate SP from SQL Server returning 2
>> recordsets).
>>
>> I found out that I had to do PERFORM * FROM construyecursordesdequery($1, query)
>> which works now, but can't run 2 different queries on the same cursor.
>>

> in your example you use a static cursor.

As opposed to? I see no way to define a cursor not-static.

--

Date:
2011/8/29 Martín Marqués <martin.marques@gmail.com>:
> El día 29 de agosto de 2011 15:28, Pavel Stehule
> <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> escribió:
>> 2011/8/29 Martín Marqués <martin.marques@gmail.com>:
>>> Actually, what we are trying to do is return 2 recordsets with the
>>> same function call (simulate SP from SQL Server returning 2
>>> recordsets).
>>>
>>> I found out that I had to do PERFORM * FROM construyecursordesdequery($1, query)
>>> which works now, but can't run 2 different queries on the same cursor.
>>>

>> in your example you use a static cursor.
>
> As opposed to? I see no way to define a cursor not-static.

refcursors can be dynamic defined

Pavel

> --
> Martín Marqués
> select 'martin.marques' || '@' || 'gmail.com'
> DBA, Programador, Administrador

Re: passing cursors from one PL function to another

From
Martín Marqués
Date:
El día 29 de agosto de 2011 15:52, Pavel Stehule
<pavel.stehule@gmail.com> escribió:
> 2011/8/29 Martín Marqués <martin.marques@gmail.com>:
>> El día 29 de agosto de 2011 15:28, Pavel Stehule
>> <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> escribió:

>>> in your example you use a static cursor.
>>
>> As opposed to? I see no way to define a cursor not-static.
>
> refcursors can be dynamic defined

OK, I'm totally lost. How do you define a dynamic cursor? Couldn't
find anything in the manuals.

--

Date:
2011/8/29 Martín Marqués <martin.marques@gmail.com>:
> El día 29 de agosto de 2011 15:52, Pavel Stehule
> <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> escribió:
>> 2011/8/29 Martín Marqués <martin.marques@gmail.com>:

>>> As opposed to? I see no way to define a cursor not-static.
>>
>> refcursors can be dynamic defined
>
> OK, I'm totally lost. How do you define a dynamic cursor? Couldn't
> find anything in the manuals.

DECLARE
    curs1 refcursor;
BEGIN
 OPEN curs1 FOR EXECUTE 'SELECT ...';

> --
> Martín Marqués
> select 'martin.marques' || '@' || 'gmail.com'
> DBA, Programador, Administrador

Re: passing cursors from one PL function to another

From
Martín Marqués
Date:
El día 29 de agosto de 2011 16:12, Pavel Stehule
<pavel.stehule@gmail.com> escribió:
> 2011/8/29 Martín Marqués <martin.marques@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> refcursors can be dynamic defined
>>
>> OK, I'm totally lost. How do you define a dynamic cursor? Couldn't
>> find anything in the manuals.
>>

> DECLARE
>    curs1 refcursor;
> BEGIN
>  OPEN curs1 FOR EXECUTE 'SELECT ...';

OK, not that easy, but I think I got it working.

Thanks alot Pavel!