PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag warnings

From
MirrorX
Date:
hello to all,

the last few days i have observed tons of msgs like the above on a db server
of ours. i have searched a lot on the internet but didn't find much relevant
information. i read that this could mean some kind of serious data
corruption, but didn't find more info in this direction. on the other hand i
read that this could originate from some hardware failure. i dont think that
this is the case (in our case) b/c on the same server there is another db
(much bigger than this one) and i dont find any messages like that in the
logs. these messages are about many tables of a specific database of the
server.

the server is 8.4.7. i dont know what kind of information i could provide to
you, in order to get some help, so please tell me what kind of info/stats i
could provide so that eventually the true meaning of these messages can be
found. thx in advanced

Re: PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag warnings

From
MirrorX
Date:
i wiil provide some info in case it is helpful

-the error msg is -> WARNING:  PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag was incorrectly set in
relation "summary_data" page 54
(the same thing appears for many tables and many pages on each table)

-in my internet searching i found some cases where this issue was related to
vacuum operations. in this server, autovacuum is on and working on these
tables (since there are updates/deletes there). would it help to turn
autovacuum off, run manually vacuums once a day (to those tables needing it,
which is determined by the system params) and check the logs?

what is strange, is that these messages appear only on 1 db of the server,
tha smallest one. and never for the other

Re: PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag warnings

From
Craig Ringer
Date:
On 12/08/2011 4:13 PM, MirrorX wrote:
> hello to all,
>
> the last few days i have observed tons of msgs like the above on a db server
> of ours.
Please include the full text of the error from the server logs.
> the server is 8.4.7. i dont know what kind of information i could provide to
> you, in order to get some help

Thanks for asking! There's a list of the sorts of things you can collect
here:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems

that might help out.

Also, you're running an old patch release. The first thing you should do
is update to PostgreSQL 8.3.15 .

--
Craig Ringer

Re: PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag warnings

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On Friday, August 12, 2011 2:01:19 am MirrorX wrote:
> i wiil provide some info in case it is helpful
>
> -the error msg is -> WARNING:  PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag was incorrectly set in
> relation "summary_data" page 54
> (the same thing appears for many tables and many pages on each table)
>
> -in my internet searching i found some cases where this issue was related
> to vacuum operations. in this server, autovacuum is on and working on
> these tables (since there are updates/deletes there). would it help to
> turn autovacuum off, run manually vacuums once a day (to those tables
> needing it, which is determined by the system params) and check the logs?
>
> what is strange, is that these messages appear only on 1 db of the server,
> tha smallest one. and never for the other

By any chance have you used pg_upgrade to populate the database? See the these
messages for something similar:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2011-04/msg00112.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2011-04/msg00353.php

The second message contains a link to the fix which is included in 8.4.8+.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag warnings

Date:
MirrorX <mirrorx@gmail.com> writes:
> the last few days i have observed tons of msgs like the above on a db server
> of ours. i have searched a lot on the internet but didn't find much relevant
> information.

> the server is 8.4.7.

These are almost certainly not something to worry about.  See this 8.4.8
patch:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git&a=commitdiff&h=994940f2fb2678b89b4897d6cd7e0bfd67c07859

If you still see it after updating to 8.4.8, we'd like to know, though.

            regards, tom lane

Re: PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag warnings

From
MirrorX
Date:
thx a lot for the answers

we will upgrade to 8.4.8 and i will monitor the situation :)