Anyone using silent_mode?

From
Heikki Linnakangas
Date:
Is anyone using silent_mode=on ? There's some discussion on
pgsql-hackers [1] on whether it should be removed altogether in 9.2,
since you can get the same functionality with "pg_ctl start", or nohup.
If you're using silent_mode, what are you using it for?

[1]
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/1308926157-sup-7749@alvh.no-ip.org

--
   Heikki Linnakangas

Re: Anyone using silent_mode?

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 10:06 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Is anyone using silent_mode=on ? There's some discussion on
> pgsql-hackers [1] on whether it should be removed altogether in 9.2,
> since you can get the same functionality with "pg_ctl start", or nohup.
> If you're using silent_mode, what are you using it for?
>
> [1]
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/1308926157-sup-7749@alvh.no-ip.org

Not using it. Never did, and won't.

--
Guillaume
  http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info

Re: Anyone using silent_mode?

From
Vick Khera
Date:
On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 3:06 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> Is anyone using silent_mode=on ? There's some discussion on pgsql-hackers
> [1] on whether it should be removed altogether in 9.2, since you can get the
> same functionality with "pg_ctl start", or nohup. If you're using
> silent_mode, what are you using it for?

I run with slient_mode=on since all my logging goes to syslog. I don't
need any other output from postgres.  I've run this way since 7.1.

I run on FreeBSD so I don't have that OOM killer problem.