pg_upgrade only to 9.0 ?

From
Iain Barnett
Date:
Hi,

I'm currently running 8.4.4. I downloaded the source for 9.0.4 and installed it, and then installed pg_upgrade and ran
it,and got the following message:

> This utility can only upgrade to PostgreSQL version 9.0.

It seems strange to me that it can only upgrade to that and not 4 patch points above, but still, so I go to the source
directoryto download 9.0 and it isn't listed.

Could anyone tell me how I'm supposed to get this to work please? I'd be really grateful.

Regards,
Iain

Re: pg_upgrade only to 9.0 ?

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Iain Barnett <iainspeed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently running 8.4.4. I downloaded the source for 9.0.4 and installed it, and then installed pg_upgrade and
ranit, and got the following message:

>> This utility can only upgrade to PostgreSQL version 9.0.
>
> It seems strange to me that it can only upgrade to that and not 4 patch points above, but still, so I go to the
sourcedirectory to download 9.0 and it isn't listed.

> Could anyone tell me how I'm supposed to get this to work please? I'd be really grateful.

How did you run it?  i.e. what exactly did you type in to run it?

Re: pg_upgrade only to 9.0 ?

From
Iain Barnett
Date:
On 10 May 2011, at 01:16, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Iain Barnett <iainspeed@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm currently running 8.4.4. I downloaded the source for 9.0.4 and installed it, and then installed pg_upgrade and
ranit, and got the following message:

>>> This utility can only upgrade to PostgreSQL version 9.0.
>>
>> It seems strange to me that it can only upgrade to that and not 4 patch points above, but still, so I go to the
sourcedirectory to download 9.0 and it isn't listed.

>> Could anyone tell me how I'm supposed to get this to work please? I'd be really grateful.
>
> How did you run it?  i.e. what exactly did you type in to run it?

Sorry, ignore me, I wasn't following the instructions given here properly.
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/pgupgrade.html

Feel free to give me a slap via email for skimming documents and asking stupid questions! Thanks for making the effort
though.

Regards,
Iain

Re: pg_upgrade only to 9.0 ?

Date:
Iain Barnett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently running 8.4.4. I downloaded the source for 9.0.4 and
> installed it, and then installed pg_upgrade and ran it, and got the
> following message:
>
> > This utility can only upgrade to PostgreSQL version 9.0.
>
> It seems strange to me that it can only upgrade to that and not 4 patch
> points above, but still, so I go to the source directory to download
> 9.0 and it isn't listed.
>
> Could anyone tell me how I'm supposed to get this to work please? I'd
> be really grateful.

Very late reply, but can I see the command you are running?  Odds are
you are pointing to 8.4 as the new database instead of 9.0.4.

Re: pg_upgrade only to 9.0 ?

From
jmfox180
Date:
hello i'm having just a similiar problem, could you tell me what part of the
instructions you were missing?

im trying to upgrade from 8.3 to 9.2.4 but i get this error:

"this utility can only upgrade to postgresql version 9.2."

Re: pg_upgrade only to 9.0 ?

Date:
On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 10:44:44AM -0700, jmfox180 wrote:
> hello i'm having just a similiar problem, could you tell me what part of the
> instructions you were missing?
>
> im trying to upgrade from 8.3 to 9.2.4 but i get this error:
>
> "this utility can only upgrade to postgresql version 9.2."

You have to use the pg_upgrade version that matches the new server
version.  I am confused by your report if you are upgrading to 9.0 or
9.2.