Different views of remote server

From
"Bob Pawley"
Date:
Hi

This is probably going to turn out to be me doing something stupid, but-

I have two computers, one of which I use as a remote server for my database.

When I connect to the remote database through my interface there are errors that suggest a problem with the data in one of the tables.

Using PgAdmin to view the remote table there is indeed some information missing (5 out of 16 geoms).

When I use the PGAdmin on the remote computer, using a local connection, this information is not missing it is intact.

I don’t think it is a PgAdmin problem because when I do a ‘select the_geom’ as a remote query the information is missing where it is not missing the PgAdmin on the other computer as a local query.

Also connecting to the remote DB using Quantum GIS shows the “missing” information as being present and normal.

I have also checked with a server display app and the appropriate number of servers are present (only one present on the remote computer).

I’ve run out of ideas - Would anyone have any thoughts of what might be going on???

Bob

PS – I have tried one other thing - dumping the database from the remote server and restoring it to the local server and the information (the 5 geoms) goes missing sometime during this transaction.

Re: Different views of remote server

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:09:59 am Bob Pawley wrote:
> Hi
>
> This is probably going to turn out to be me doing something stupid, but-
>
> I have two computers, one of which I use as a remote server for my
> database.
>
> When I connect to the remote database through my interface there are errors
> that suggest a problem with the data in one of the tables.
>
> Using PgAdmin to view the remote table there is indeed some information
> missing (5 out of 16 geoms).
>
> When I use the PGAdmin on the remote computer, using a local connection,
> this information is not missing it is intact.
>
> I don’t think it is a PgAdmin problem because when I do a ‘select the_geom’
> as a remote query the information is missing where it is not missing the
> PgAdmin on the other computer as a local query.
>
> Also connecting to the remote DB using Quantum GIS shows the “missing”
> information as being present and normal.
>
> I have also checked with a server display app and the appropriate number of
> servers are present (only one present on the remote computer).
>
> I’ve run out of ideas - Would anyone have any thoughts of what might be
> going on???

What is the schema for the table? What exactly is the data and do the 5
'missing' data differ markedly from the other data?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Different views of remote server

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Bob Pawley <rjpawley@shaw.ca> wrote:
> Hi
>
> This is probably going to turn out to be me doing something stupid, but-
>
> I have two computers, one of which I use as a remote server for my database.
>
> When I connect to the remote database through my interface there are errors
> that suggest a problem with the data in one of the tables.
>
> Using PgAdmin to view the remote table there is indeed some information
> missing (5 out of 16 geoms).
>
> When I use the PGAdmin on the remote computer, using a local connection,
> this information is not missing it is intact.
>
> I don’t think it is a PgAdmin problem because when I do a ‘select the_geom’
> as a remote query the information is missing where it is not missing the
> PgAdmin on the other computer as a local query.
>
> Also connecting to the remote DB using Quantum GIS shows the “missing”
> information as being present and normal.
>
> I have also checked with a server display app and the appropriate number of
> servers are present (only one present on the remote computer).
>
> I’ve run out of ideas - Would anyone have any thoughts of what might be
> going on???

You're likely connecting to a different database than you think you
are.  What do your connection credentials look like in each case?

Re: Different views of remote server

From
"Bob Pawley"
Date:
Hi Adrian

I looked at the table in JEdit. The binary strings for the missing fields
are considerably longer than the others.

What limiting factor have I probably exceeded??

Bob

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Date:
On Thursday, April 21, 2011 5:20:13 am Bob Pawley wrote:
> Hi Adrian
>
> I looked at the table in JEdit. The binary strings for the missing fields
> are considerably longer than the others.
>
> What limiting factor have I probably exceeded??

Per Scotts post, are you sure you are only looking at one database. You mention
verifying with a server display app(?), but you might to do as Scott suggested
and look at the connection strings. Also from my previous post, what is the
data? Also what query are you running?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Different views of remote server

From
"Bob Pawley"
Date:
Hi Scott

According to NSAuditor(www.nsauditor.com) there is only one server with port
5432.

When I enter information into the remote database it shows up on the same
database that has this problem.

How do I determine my 'connection credentials'?

Bob

Date:
On Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:24:57 am Bob Pawley wrote:
> Hi Scott
>
> According to NSAuditor(www.nsauditor.com) there is only one server with
> port 5432.
>
> When I enter information into the remote database it shows up on the same
> database that has this problem.
>
> How do I determine my 'connection credentials'?

In pgAdmin they will be in the server properties. Look to see if you are
connecting to a port other than 5432.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Different views of remote server

From
"Bob Pawley"
Date:
Yes it shows only one server on the remote computer.

I can send the table as an sql dump if the list will accept an attachment.

The dumped table contains the geom information that I can't see on the
remote connection.

I restored that same dumped table into a different local database. Somewhere
in the restore process those geoms somehow got lost.

Taken all together it does seem as if there is something wrong with the geom
information. Even to my uneducated eye they look strange compared to the
others in the table.

Four of the problem fields represent arrow heads. The fifth is a point.

Bob

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Different views of remote server

From
"Bob Pawley"
Date:
Hi

A little more research.

I accessed the problem table as a remote connection using PGAdmin.

I selected the cell that shows as being null and copied and pasted the
contents into Word.

The geom IS there.

Using this method the geom is also present, but not visible, in the table I
am accessing as a local connection. This is the remote database which I
dumped and then restored as a local.

These fields are not only not visible but they return null when I do a
simple select query.

I could really do with some suggestions.

Bob

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Date:
On Friday, April 22, 2011 12:52:28 pm Bob Pawley wrote:
> Hi
>
> A little more research.
>
> I accessed the problem table as a remote connection using PGAdmin.
>
> I selected the cell that shows as being null and copied and pasted the
> contents into Word.
>
> The geom IS there.
>
> Using this method the geom is also present, but not visible, in the table I
> am accessing as a local connection. This is the remote database which I
> dumped and then restored as a local.
>
> These fields are not only not visible but they return null when I do a
> simple select query.
>
> I could really do with some suggestions.

Still waiting for a description of the table and the exact data type you are
using. Also are you sure it is really returning null and that you are not
looking at empty space at the beginning of the record?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Different views of remote server

From
"Bob Pawley"
Date:
If it's empty space at the beginning it goes on for a long time.

Can I send the table as an sql dump as an attachment with the list??

Bob

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Date:
On Friday, April 22, 2011 2:06:52 pm Bob Pawley wrote:
> If it's empty space at the beginning it goes on for a long time.
>
> Can I send the table as an sql dump as an attachment with the list??

If you want you can send off list to me.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com