Install issues

From
Alex
Date:
Using Windows 7 64 bit. Tried to install 8.4 and 9.0and it fails right
near the end when it tries to create or read the conf file. If I
transfer my postgres 8.4 file over the upgrade takes but the postgres
service doesn't exist so no communication occurs.

Is there anyway to just install the postgres service? Or another solution?

Re: Install issues

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 03/22/11 9:33 AM, Alex wrote:
> Using Windows 7 64 bit. Tried to install 8.4 and 9.0and it fails right
> near the end when it tries to create or read the conf file. If I
> transfer my postgres 8.4 file over the upgrade takes but the postgres
> service doesn't exist so no communication occurs.
>
> Is there anyway to just install the postgres service? Or another
> solution?

to create a windows service manually, from the command line prompt, try...

  c:\> sc create postgresql-8.4 binpath=
'"D:/postgres/8.4/bin/pg_ctl.exe" runservice -N postgresql-8.4 -D
"D:/postgres/8.4/data" -w' type= own start= auto depend= RPCSS obj=
./postgres password= yerpgservicepassword

*(yes, thats all one long gnarly line... fix your binary path and data
path as you need...  and yes there's a space after each = and no space
before, this command was designed by aliens)

when you think you got it rigth...

C:\> sc qc postgresql-8.4

should output something like....

SERVICE_NAME: postgresql-8.4
         TYPE               : 10  WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
         START_TYPE         : 2   AUTO_START
         ERROR_CONTROL      : 1   NORMAL
         BINARY_PATH_NAME   : D:/postgres/8.4/bin/pg_ctl.exe runservice
-N "postgresql-8.4" -D "D:/postgres/8.4/data" -w
         LOAD_ORDER_GROUP   :
         TAG                : 0
         DISPLAY_NAME       : postgresql-8.4 - PostgreSQL Server 8.4
         DEPENDENCIES       : RPCSS
         SERVICE_START_NAME : .\postgres

Re: Install issues

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
Alex, 22.03.2011 17:33:
> Using Windows 7 64 bit. Tried to install 8.4 and 9.0and it fails right near the end when it tries to create or read
theconf file. If I transfer my postgres 8.4 file over the upgrade takes but the postgres service doesn't exist so no
communicationoccurs.

> Is there anyway to just install the postgres service? Or another solution?

If you have the binaries and can start the server using pg_ctl, then you can always register the service using pg_ctl:

pg_ctl register -N PostgreSQL -U windows_user -P secret_windows_password -D c:/Data/Postgres

More details are in the manual:
   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/app-pg-ctl.html