Re: Install issues - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: Install issues
Date
List pgsql-general
Alex, 22.03.2011 17:33:
> Using Windows 7 64 bit. Tried to install 8.4 and 9.0and it fails right near the end when it tries to create or read
theconf file. If I transfer my postgres 8.4 file over the upgrade takes but the postgres service doesn't exist so no
communicationoccurs.

> Is there anyway to just install the postgres service? Or another solution?

If you have the binaries and can start the server using pg_ctl, then you can always register the service using pg_ctl:

pg_ctl register -N PostgreSQL -U windows_user -P secret_windows_password -D c:/Data/Postgres

More details are in the manual:
   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/app-pg-ctl.html