Hey guys, I'm trying to get a VB program to make a client connection to my PostgreSQL server running on an

Ubuntu 10.10 server.

Here's what I've done:

Client side - installed and registered the OLE DB .dll's from the PostgreSQL OLE DB Provider project.

server side -

the configuration described here: https://help.ubuntu.com/10.10/serverguide/C/postgresql.html

---------------

Have added this line to postgresql.conf:

listen_addresses = '*, 144.96.80.35, localhost'

I've also tried this as simply:

listen_addresses = '144.96.80.35, localhost'

also, port = 5432

--------------

I have added the following to pg_hba.conf:

# IPv4 local connections:

host    all         all         144.96.80.35  255.255.255.0         md5

local   all     postgres        md5

--------------

I've got the following code going in VB:

Public Class Form1

    Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

        Const connString As String = "Provider=PostgreSQL; Server=144.96.80.35; User Id=postgres;Password=postgres;"

        Dim theOleDBconnection As New OleDb.OleDbConnection

        theOleDBconnection.ConnectionString = connString

        theOleDBconnection.Open()

    End Sub

End Class

So when the project opens up, it should make the connection and display the form.

What happens is that I get an error...

OleDbException was unhandled

could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)

               Is the server running on host "" and accepting

               TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

---------------------------

So, obviously I've got something configured incorrectly.

I'm troubled that the VB error seems to show a null value for the host. Shouldn't that be the Server value in

the connection string?

Thanks to all for any help…

On 03/09/2011 08:30 AM, John Edens wrote:
> Hey guys, I'm trying to get a VB program to make a client connection to
> my PostgreSQL server running on an
>
> Ubuntu 10.10 server.
>
> Here's what I've done:
>
> Client side - installed and registered the OLE DB .dll's from the
> PostgreSQL OLE DB Provider project.
>
> server side -
>
> the configuration described here:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/10.10/serverguide/C/postgresql.html
>
> ---------------
>
> Have added this line to postgresql.conf:
>
> listen_addresses = '*, 144.96.80.35, localhost'

I would stick with listen_addresses = '*', this covers all the bases and
simplifies things for the time being.

> I've also tried this as simply:
>
> listen_addresses = '144.96.80.35, localhost'
>
> also, port = 5432
>
> --------------
>
> I have added the following to pg_hba.conf:
>
> # IPv4 local connections:
>
> host all all 144.96.80.35 255.255.255.0 md5
>
> local all postgres md5

If I am following, 144.96.80.35 is your server address not the clients.
In pg_hba.conf the IPs are those from the clients you want to let in, so
you will need to use an IP or mask that matches that of your client. To
reduce confusion you might want to do that in the section for remote
connections :)

> --------------
>
> I've got the following code going in VB:
>
> Public Class Form1
>
> Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
> System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
>
> Const connString As String = "Provider=PostgreSQL; Server=144.96.80.35;
> User Id=postgres;Password=postgres;"
>
> Dim theOleDBconnection As New OleDb.OleDbConnection
>
> theOleDBconnection.ConnectionString = connString
>
> theOleDBconnection.Open()
>
> End Sub
>
> End Class
>
> So when the project opens up, it should make the connection and display
> the form.
>
> What happens is that I get an error...
>
> OleDbException was unhandled
>
> could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)

Per the explanation above your client IP does not have access to the server.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

>If I am following, 144.96.80.35 is your server address not the clients.
>In pg_hba.conf the IPs are those from the clients you want to let in, so
>you will need to use an IP or mask that matches that of your client. To
>reduce confusion you might want to do that in the section for remote
>connections :)

>Per the explanation above your client IP does not have access to the
server.

Okay, I have set the mask as described...

I can now use pgAdmin III to access the database on the server from my
desktop machine, which I could not previously do.

However, the VB code still gives the error previously described.

Thanks for the config file help - any ideas about the OLE DB connection
problem?

On 03/09/2011 09:59 AM, John Edens wrote:
>> If I am following, 144.96.80.35 is your server address not the clients.
>> In pg_hba.conf the IPs are those from the clients you want to let in, so
>> you will need to use an IP or mask that matches that of your client. To
>> reduce confusion you might want to do that in the section for remote
>> connections :)
>
>> Per the explanation above your client IP does not have access to the
> server.
>
> Okay, I have set the mask as described...
>
> I can now use pgAdmin III to access the database on the server from my
> desktop machine, which I could not previously do.
>
> However, the VB code still gives the error previously described.
>
> Thanks for the config file help - any ideas about the OLE DB connection
> problem?

What I know about OLE would fit in the navel of a flea:) That being said
I offer:
http://www.connectionstrings.com/postgre-sql#p53

It would seem your connection string needs different information.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

That's a great site - I am now making a connection.

Thanks for all the help!
John

conncections using MS Visual Basic OLE DB calls and PostgreSQL dll's?