Reordering a table

From
Howard Cole
Date:
Hi,

a puzzle to solve...

I have a table with a primary key, and a timestamp, e.g.

id    stamp
1     2011-02-01 10:00
2     2011-02-01 09:00
3     2011-02-01 11:00

Now for reasons too painful to go into, I need to reorder the id
(sequence) so that they are in time order:

id    stamp
1     2011-02-01 09:00
2     2011-02-01 10:00
3     2011-02-01 11:00

I thought I could do it by adding a third colum with the order in it,
but I cannot think of a way to do this short of writing some code

id    stamp                         order
1     2011-02-01 10:00    2
2     2011-02-01 09:00    1
3     2011-02-01 11:00    3

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Howard
www.selestial.com

Re: Reordering a table

From
David Kerr
Date:
- I have a table with a primary key, and a timestamp, e.g.
-
- id    stamp
- 1     2011-02-01 10:00
- 2     2011-02-01 09:00
- 3     2011-02-01 11:00
-
[...]

There is almost certianly a slicker way, but what comes to the top of my head is

create new_table (id serial, stamp timestamp)
insert into new_table (stamp) select stamp from old_table order by stamp;
rename old_table old_table_old -- just to be safe
rename new_table old_table

this, of course, doesn't stop stuff from getting out of order again.

Dave

Re: Reordering a table

From
Vibhor Kumar
Date:
On Feb 22, 2011, at 10:10 PM, Howard Cole wrote:

> Hi,
>
> a puzzle to solve...
>
> I have a table with a primary key, and a timestamp, e.g.
>
> id    stamp
> 1     2011-02-01 10:00
> 2     2011-02-01 09:00
> 3     2011-02-01 11:00
>
> Now for reasons too painful to go into, I need to reorder the id (sequence) so that they are in time order:
>
> id    stamp
> 1     2011-02-01 09:00
> 2     2011-02-01 10:00
> 3     2011-02-01 11:00
>
> I thought I could do it by adding a third colum with the order in it, but I cannot think of a way to do this short of
writingsome code

> id    stamp                         order
> 1     2011-02-01 10:00    2
> 2     2011-02-01 09:00    1
> 3     2011-02-01 11:00    3
>
> Any ideas?

If you are using PG 8.4 then you can try something with row_number as given below:
 select id,stamp, row_number() over(order by stamp) from test;

Or

Create table test1 as select row_number() over(order by stamp) as id, stamp from test;

Thanks & Regards,
Vibhor Kumar

Re: Reordering a table

From
"David Johnston"
Something like:

SELECT
ordered.stamp,
nextval('sequence') AS rownumber
FROM (SELECT stamp FROM table ORDER BY stamp ASC) ordered

Incorporate the ID field and UPDATE as necessary to get the result the way
you need it.

You are apparently aware that you likely have a design or understanding
issue due to the fact that you need to do this persistently.

You may be able to accomplish a similar result without the use of a sequence
by using WINDOW but for a one-off scenario the sequence should suffice.

David J.

Date:
On 22/02/2011 5:18 PM, Vibhor Kumar wrote:
> If you are using PG 8.4 then you can try something with row_number as
> given below:
>   select id,stamp, row_number() over(order by stamp) from test;
>
> Or
>
> Create table test1 as select row_number() over(order by stamp) as id, stamp from test;
>
> Thanks&  Regards,
> Vibhor Kumar

I have not come across that that function before. I'll take a closer look.

Many thanks to all for the quick responses.

Howard.