Re: Reordering a table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: Reordering a table
Date
List pgsql-general
Something like:

SELECT
ordered.stamp,
nextval('sequence') AS rownumber
FROM (SELECT stamp FROM table ORDER BY stamp ASC) ordered

Incorporate the ID field and UPDATE as necessary to get the result the way
you need it.

You are apparently aware that you likely have a design or understanding
issue due to the fact that you need to do this persistently.

You may be able to accomplish a similar result without the use of a sequence
by using WINDOW but for a one-off scenario the sequence should suffice.

David J.