Hello all- I am using psql from the command line in an Ubuntu environment, and Id like to setup (if possible) some sort of client configuration for myself that sets some environment variables, mainly client_min_messages. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks.

--

Wells Oliver

Developer, Baseball Systems

San Diego Padres | 100 Park Boulevard | San Diego CA 92101

On Monday 20 December 2010 4:42:57 pm Wells Oliver wrote:
> Hello all- I am using psql from the command line in an Ubuntu
> environment, and I'd like to setup (if possible) some sort of client
> configuration for myself that sets some environment variables, mainly
> client_min_messages. Is there a way to do this?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Wells Oliver
> Developer, Baseball Systems
> San Diego Padres | 100 Park Boulevard | San Diego CA 92101

From here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/app-psql.html
"Unless it is passed an -X or -c option, psql attempts to read and execute
commands from the system-wide psqlrc file and the user's ~/.psqlrc file before
starting up. (On Windows, the user's startup file is
named %APPDATA%\postgresql\psqlrc.conf.) See PREFIX/share/psqlrc.sample for
information on setting up the system-wide file. It could be used to set up the
client or the server to taste (using the \set and SET commands). "

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 5:42 PM, Wells Oliver <woliver@padres.com> wrote:
> Hello all- I am using psql from the command line in an Ubuntu environment,
> and I’d like to setup (if possible) some sort of client configuration for
> myself that sets some environment variables, mainly client_min_messages. Is
> there a way to do this?

alter user smarlowe set client_min_messages='debug';