Problem with Postgresql 9.0 streaming replication on Solaris 10 (x86)

From
"dan.m.harris"
Date:
Hi all,

I'm having a problem getting streaming replication to work between two
servers running Solaris 10 (both x86 platforms).

Both servers have PG 9.0 installed at /postgres/postgres/9.0_pgdg/, with a
database initialised at /postgres/postgres/9.0_pgdg/data/.

I have followed the instructions at
hxxp://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Streaming_Replication to set up my servers,
except that I haven't set up WAL archiving to allow the standby to catch up.
I will in future, but I'm just prototyping for now.

On my standby server (10.254.2.37), my recover.conf file looks like this:
bash-3.00$ cat data/recovery.conf
standby_mode = 'on'
primary_conninfo = 'host=10.254.2.1 port=5555'

On my primary server (10.254.2.1), my pg_hba.conf file looks like this:
# TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD
host replication all 10.254.2.37/32 trust

With my primary DB stopped, I start the DB on my standby, and see this:
bash-3.00$ bin/pg_ctl -D data start
server starting
bash-3.00$ LOG: database system was shut down in recovery at 2010-10-20
12:33:58 GMT
LOG: entering standby mode
WARNING: WAL was generated with wal_level=minimal, data may be missing
HINT: This happens if you temporarily set wal_level=minimal without taking a
new base backup.
LOG: consistent recovery state reached at 0/588DB8
LOG: record with zero length at 0/588DB8
FATAL: could not connect to the primary server: invalid connection option
"replication"

FATAL: could not connect to the primary server: invalid connection option
"replication"

FATAL: could not connect to the primary server: invalid connection option
"replication"

FATAL: could not connect to the primary server: invalid connection option
"replication"
(etc)

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem may be? I suspect I may be
missing a library somewhere - I can't believe that streaming replication
just doesn't work on Solaris 10.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Re: Problem with Postgresql 9.0 streaming replication on Solaris 10 (x86)

From
Fujii Masao
On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 10:31 PM, dan.m.harris
<daniel.harris@metaswitch.com> wrote:
> LOG: entering standby mode
> WARNING: WAL was generated with wal_level=minimal, data may be missing
> HINT: This happens if you temporarily set wal_level=minimal without taking a
> new base backup.

Did you set wal_level to archive or hot_standby on the master?
If not, you have to do that and restart the master. Then you
need to take a new base backup from the master and restart the
standby from that base backup.

> FATAL: could not connect to the primary server: invalid connection option
> "replication"
> (etc)
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what the problem may be? I suspect I may be
> missing a library somewhere - I can't believe that streaming replication
> just doesn't work on Solaris 10.

I guess that the version of the libpq library you use is not 9.

Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center