Hi All,

We want to replicate /move data form db2 to postgres is there any software / solutions / approach available to do this?

Thanks
Deepak

Re: Move data from DB2 to Postgres any software/solutions/approach?

From
Richard Broersma
Date:
On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 2:13 PM, DM <dm.aeqa@gmail.com> wrote:
> We want to replicate /move data form db2 to postgres is there any software /
> solutions / approach available to do this?

Here is a link on the postgresql wiki.

Hopefully it has some useful information.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Converting_from_other_Databases_to_PostgreSQL#IBM_DB2

Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Thanks Robert,

Is there any tools available.

Thanks
Deepak

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Richard Broersma <richard.broersma@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 2:13 PM, DM <dm.aeqa@gmail.com> wrote:
> We want to replicate /move data form db2 to postgres is there any software /
> solutions / approach available to do this?

Here is a link on the postgresql wiki.

Hopefully it has some useful information.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Converting_from_other_Databases_to_PostgreSQL#IBM_DB2

Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Re: Move data from DB2 to Postgres any software/solutions/approach?

From
John R Pierce
DM wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We want to replicate /move data form db2 to postgres is there any
> software / solutions / approach available to do this?

in general, I'd likely use a perl or similar program to connect to the
'other' database, fetch your data, and insert it into your postgres
database.  this, of course, would require knowledge of the specific data
you want to copy.   if you are talking about a live ongoing replica,
then it gets more complicated.   if you're moving applications from DB2
to postgres, yet more complications.

another approach might be DBI-Link, which is a plugin for postgres that
allows you to connect to foreign external databases from within a
postgres database, using pl/perl

Sorry i didnt frame my question properly earlier, we are looking for solution to do real time replication from db2 to postgres, its different from migration.
Eventually we want to move away from DB2. Intention is to create a subset of a db2 database on postgres and allow users to access the postgres database.

Thanks
Deepak

> We want to replicate /move data form db2 to postgres is there any software /
> solutions / approach available to do this?

Here is a link on the postgresql wiki.

Hopefully it has some useful information.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Converting_from_other_Databases_to_PostgreSQL#IBM_DB2

Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Re: Move data from DB2 to Postgres any software/solutions/approach?

From
David Fetter
Date:
Deepak,

You can use DBI-Link to make writeable views of tables in DB2 (or
other data store) from PostgreSQL.  You can use the same linkage to
materialize those views, if you like.

The latest version of the software is on GitHub

http://github.com/davidfetter/DBI-Link

You can also join the low-traffic mailing list at

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/dbi-link/

Cheers,
David.
On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 02:33:53PM -0700, DM wrote:
> Sorry i didnt frame my question properly earlier, we are looking for
> solution to do real time replication from db2 to postgres, its different
> from migration.
> Eventually we want to move away from DB2. Intention is to create a subset of
> a db2 database on postgres and allow users to access the postgres database.
>
> Thanks
> Deepak
>
> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 2:23 PM, DM <dm.aeqa@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Robert,
> >
> > Is there any tools available.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Deepak
> >

> > On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Richard Broersma <
> > richard.broersma@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> software /
> >>

> >> Here is a link on the postgresql wiki.
> >>
> >> Hopefully it has some useful information.
> >>

> >> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Converting_from_other_Databases_to_PostgreSQL#IBM_DB2
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Richard Broersma Jr.
> >>
> >> Visit the Los Angeles PostgreSQL Users Group (LAPUG)
> >> http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Remember to vote!

DM wrote:
> Sorry i didnt frame my question properly earlier, we are looking for
> solution to do real time replication from db2 to postgres, its
> different from migration.
> Eventually we want to move away from DB2. Intention is to create a
> subset of a db2 database on postgres and allow users to access the
> postgres database.

*real* realtime, as in transaction by transaction?  or sorta-realtime,
as in updates every X interval where X is a minute or few?

wild guess says, you'll need to roll that yourself, probably on the DB2
side using triggers, and I have no idea how you'd connect to PG from the
DB2 procedures (as I know very little about DB2 specifically)

Thank you so much for every ones inputs.

It is not real time, updates every 5 mins should be fine.
But the DB2 database is real busy and its real performance based.

Thanks
Deepak

DM wrote:
> Thank you so much for every ones inputs.
>
> It is not real time, updates every 5 mins should be fine.
> But the DB2 database is real busy and its real performance based.

well, you might look over
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg246828.html   which discusses
DB2 replication.  "The Appendix C provides information about configuring
federated access to Informix, which can be used as a model for federated
access to other non-DB2 database, such as Oracle, MS SQL Server, Sybase,
and more, using DB2 Information Integrator V8. "

Thank you so much for all your inputs.

Thank you so much for every ones inputs.

It is not real time, updates every 5 mins should be fine. But the DB2 database is real busy and its real performance based.

well, you might look over http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg246828.html   which discusses DB2 replication.  "The Appendix C provides information about configuring federated access to Informix, which can be used as a model for federated access to other non-DB2 database, such as Oracle, MS SQL Server, Sybase, and more, using DB2 Information Integrator V8. "

Re: Move data from DB2 to Postgres any software/solutions/approach?

From
Chris Browne
Date:
dm.aeqa@gmail.com (DM) writes:
> It is not real time, updates every 5 mins should be fine.
>
> But the DB2 database is real busy and its real performance based.

The book "Scalable Internet Architectures" (by Theo Schlossnagle) has
an example of how to build a trigger-based replication system copying
data from an Oracle database to Postgres.

It basically tracks PK values for tuples changed/deleted (which is
what the old RServer and eRServer replication systems for Postgres
did), allowing a process to come in afterwards and pull data over to
the replica.

I presume that DB2 has enough functionality to let you run triggers to
capture which tuples changed, and when.  Given that, it shouldn't be
super-difficult to do what you need.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'cbbrowne.com';
http://cbbrowne.com/info/slony.html