Return Single Row Result After Inserting (Stored Procedure)

From
Yan Cheng Cheok
Date:
Hello all,

I have the following procedure. I wish it will return a single row result to caller, after I insert the value (as the
rowcontains several auto generated fields), without perform additional SELECT query.

According to http://wischner.blogspot.com/2009/03/creating-stored-procedure-function.html, my guess is that, I need to
useSETOF. However, pgAdmin doesn't allow me to enter "SETOF" in "Return Type".

However, it let me enter "lot" (lot is the name of the table)

May I know how can I modified the following function, to let it returns my newly inserted row?

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION create_lot(text, text, text, text, text, text)
  RETURNS lot AS
$BODY$DECLARE
    configurationFile ALIAS FOR $1;
    operatorName ALIAS FOR $2;
    machineName ALIAS FOR $3;
BEGIN
    INSERT INTO lot(configuration_file, operator_name, machine_name)
    VALUES(configurationFile, operatorName, machineName);
END;$BODY$
  LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE
  COST 100;
ALTER FUNCTION create_lot(text, text, text) OWNER TO postgres;

Thanks and Regards
Yan Cheng CHEOK

p/s May I know what is the purpose of "COST 100"?

Re: Return Single Row Result After Inserting (Stored Procedure)

From
"A. Kretschmer"
Date:
> Hello all,
>
> I have the following procedure. I wish it will return a single row
> result to caller, after I insert the value (as the row contains
> several auto generated fields), without perform additional SELECT
> query.
>
> According to
> http://wischner.blogspot.com/2009/03/creating-stored-procedure-function.html,
> my guess is that, I need to use SETOF. However, pgAdmin doesn't allow
> me to enter "SETOF" in "Return Type".
>
> However, it let me enter "lot" (lot is the name of the table)
>
> May I know how can I modified the following function, to let it returns my newly inserted row?
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION create_lot(text, text, text, text, text, text)
>   RETURNS lot AS
> $BODY$DECLARE
>     configurationFile ALIAS FOR $1;
>     operatorName ALIAS FOR $2;
>     machineName ALIAS FOR $3;
> BEGIN
>     INSERT INTO lot(configuration_file, operator_name, machine_name)
>     VALUES(configurationFile, operatorName, machineName);
> END;$BODY$
>   LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE
>   COST 100;
> ALTER FUNCTION create_lot(text, text, text) OWNER TO postgres;

You have defined a function with 6 input-parameters, but inside the
function there are only 3 used. Why?

You can rewrite your function, simple example:

-- create a simple table with 2 columns
test=# create table foo (col1 int, col2 text);
CREATE TABLE

-- create a simple function
test=*# create or replace function insert_foo(int, text) returns foo as $$insert into foo values ($1, $2) returning *;
$$languagesql;
CREATE FUNCTION

-- use that function
test=*# select * from insert_foo(1, 'test') ;
 col1 | col2
------+------
    1 | test
(1 row)

-- check, if our table contains the new record
test=*# select * from foo;
 col1 | col2
------+------
    1 | test
(1 row)

Yeah!

For such simple task you can use language SQL instead ig pl/pgsql.

> Thanks and Regards
> Yan Cheng CHEOK
>
> p/s May I know what is the purpose of "COST 100"?

It is a hint for the planner to calculate the costs for the function.
You can omit this parameter.

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer
GnuPG: 0x31720C99, 1006 CCB4 A326 1D42 6431  2EB0 389D 1DC2 3172 0C99

Re: Return Single Row Result After Inserting (Stored Procedure)

From
Yan Cheng Cheok
Date:
Thanks!

However, we prefer to stick with plpgsql, as rest of our functions are in that language. We need some consistency.

I try to modify my previous stored procedure to.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION create_lot(text, text, text)
   RETURNS lot AS
$BODY$DECLARE
     configurationFile ALIAS FOR $1;
     operatorName ALIAS FOR $2;
     machineName ALIAS FOR $3;
 BEGIN
     INSERT INTO lot(configuration_file, operator_name, machine_name)
     VALUES(configurationFile, operatorName, machineName) RETURNING *;
 END;$BODY$
   LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE
   COST 100;
 ALTER FUNCTION create_lot(text, text, text) OWNER TO postgres;

However, we get the following error.

SemiconductorInspection=# SELECT * FROM create_lot('a','b','3');
ERROR:  query has no destination for result data
CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "create_lot" line 9 at SQL statement

Any suggestion? Thanks!

Thanks and Regards
Yan Cheng CHEOK

Re: Return Single Row Result After Inserting (Stored Procedure)

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On Sunday 10 January 2010 5:49:38 pm Yan Cheng Cheok wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> However, we prefer to stick with plpgsql, as rest of our functions are in
> that language. We need some consistency.
>
> I try to modify my previous stored procedure to.
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION create_lot(text, text, text)
>    RETURNS lot AS
> $BODY$DECLARE
>      configurationFile ALIAS FOR $1;
>      operatorName ALIAS FOR $2;
>      machineName ALIAS FOR $3;
>  BEGIN
>      INSERT INTO lot(configuration_file, operator_name, machine_name)
>      VALUES(configurationFile, operatorName, machineName) RETURNING *;
>  END;$BODY$
>    LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE
>    COST 100;
>  ALTER FUNCTION create_lot(text, text, text) OWNER TO postgres;
>
> However, we get the following error.
>
> SemiconductorInspection=# SELECT * FROM create_lot('a','b','3');
> ERROR:  query has no destination for result data
> CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "create_lot" line 9 at SQL statement
>
> Any suggestion? Thanks!
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Yan Cheng CHEOK

See here;
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/plpgsql-statements.html#PLPGSQL-STATEMENTS-SQL-ONEROW

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Return Single Row Result After Inserting (Stored Procedure)

From
Yan Cheng Cheok
Date:
Thanks a lot. I solved my problem by using this.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION create_lot(text, text, text)
  RETURNS lot AS
$BODY$DECLARE
    configurationFile ALIAS FOR $1;
    operatorName ALIAS FOR $2;
    machineName ALIAS FOR $3;
    _lot lot;
BEGIN
    INSERT INTO lot(configuration_file, operator_name, machine_name)
    VALUES(configurationFile, operatorName, machineName) RETURNING  * INTO _lot;
    return _lot;