Does anyone use solid state drives for postgres?

Has there been any benchmark that states whether mechanical disk drives out perform solid state drives?

Is there any benefit, they are quite expensive.

Chris Barnes

Chris Barnes wrote:
> Does anyone use solid state drives for postgres?
>
> Has there been any benchmark that states whether mechanical disk
> drives out perform solid state drives?
>
> Is there any benefit, they are quite expensive.
>
> Chris Barnes

> Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what you’re up to
> on Facebook. <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9691811>
I use a single SSD on one of our servers and it appears to be much more
responsive than a single 15K SAS drive - Thats as scientific as my
testing gets! The database I use is mostly reads.

Careful which SSD you choose because there is a wide variation in
performance.

Howard Cole
www.selestial.com

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 8:46 AM, Howard Cole <howardnews@selestial.com> wrote:
> I use a single SSD on one of our servers and it appears to be much more
> responsive than a single 15K SAS drive - Thats as scientific as my testing
> gets! The database I use is mostly reads.
>
> Careful which SSD you choose because there is a wide variation in
> performance.

I have yet to find a anyone that will assert what the write-cycles
these new devices will handle.  Our DB is very high write and read
load, and I have no idea how long the SSDs would last.  They are still
too expensive for me to buy them to do this experiment.

I certainly hope you have good backups for when your SSD does finally croak.