Re: Bench marking performance or experience using Solid State Disk Drives (SSD) with postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vick Khera
Subject Re: Bench marking performance or experience using Solid State Disk Drives (SSD) with postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 8:46 AM, Howard Cole <howardnews@selestial.com> wrote:
> I use a single SSD on one of our servers and it appears to be much more
> responsive than a single 15K SAS drive - Thats as scientific as my testing
> gets! The database I use is mostly reads.
>
> Careful which SSD you choose because there is a wide variation in
> performance.

I have yet to find a anyone that will assert what the write-cycles
these new devices will handle.  Our DB is very high write and read
load, and I have no idea how long the SSDs would last.  They are still
too expensive for me to buy them to do this experiment.

I certainly hope you have good backups for when your SSD does finally croak.