2 versions of Postgres on the same machine

From
wstrzalka
Date:
Hi

   This is probably more like linux question but strictly related to
PG so I hope somebody can help me.

   I need to have 8.3 & 8.4 installed on the same machine (for
pg_migrator). As I'm not Linux guru I used to install/update Postgres
using yum from PGDG.

   Is there any clever way to install parallel version of PG using yum
or other way (without compilation please :D )

Re: 2 versions of Postgres on the same machine

From
John R Pierce
wstrzalka wrote:
> Hi
>
>    This is probably more like linux question but strictly related to
> PG so I hope somebody can help me.
>
>    I need to have 8.3 & 8.4 installed on the same machine (for
> pg_migrator). As I'm not Linux guru I used to install/update Postgres
> using yum from PGDG.
>
>    Is there any clever way to install parallel version of PG using yum
> or other way (without compilation please :D )

not easily, the RPMs that yum fetches have the library paths hard coded.

building postgres from source is actually very easy.  just follow the
README and/or INSTALL in the source tarball.   build it for an alternate
root path, like /usr/local/pgsql84/... (you'd specify this as an option
on the ./configure step), then after its built and installed to that
alternate path, and you've run initdb, you would edit postgresql.conf in
this alternate ./data directory to change the port to a different port,
such as 5433 instead of the default 5432.

Re: 2 versions of Postgres on the same machine

From
Sam Mason
Date:
On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 02:16:20AM -0700, wstrzalka wrote:
>    I need to have 8.3 & 8.4 installed on the same machine (for
> pg_migrator). As I'm not Linux guru I used to install/update Postgres
> using yum from PGDG.

If you could use Debian or something based on it (e.g. Ubuntu) then this
is how it works by default.  You can have as many different "major"
(i.e. 8.2, 8.3 and 8.4) versions installed and running at the same time
as you want.

Building from source isn't too hard though, it's the keeping it up to
date that's more of a fiddle.

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/

Re: 2 versions of Postgres on the same machine

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 02:16 -0700, wstrzalka wrote:
>    Is there any clever way to install parallel version of PG using yum
> or other way (without compilation please :D )

There is no way to do it with RPMS :( Install one of the versions using
yum, and compile the other please.
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
Command Prompt - http://www.CommandPrompt.com

Attachment

Re: 2 versions of Postgres on the same machine

From
Sachin Srivastava
Date:
   Is there any clever way to install parallel version of PG using yum
or other way (without compilation please :D )
There is no way to do it with RPMS :( Install one of the versions using
yum, and compile the other please.
Or use EnterpriseDB's one-click installer for PostgreSQL 8.3 and PostgreSQL 8.4, you will have 2 parallel version of server running simultaneously without needing to compile from source.

Sachin Srivastava
www.enterprisedb.com