distributing postgresql binaries

From
Garry Saddington
Date:
I have developed an application using Zope and Postgresql and I want to
be able to distribute the application with a full database of data so
that there are no setup worries for users. The platform is Windows. When
I copy the app over to windows XP home, Postgres refuses to start and I
get a cryptic 'Application is configured wrongly' message from windows.
It seems that the absence of registry entries (done some testing) is the
problem. Is there a distribution that will run when copied from one
machine to another without writing anything in the registry? By the way,
I tried the binaries only install from the download area for 8.3.7 and
it won't start either with the same error message. Any help would be
much appreciated.
Regards
Garry

Re: distributing postgresql binaries

From
Alan McKay
Date:
Why not populate the registry properly?

It is not that difficult to do.

Date:
Alan McKay wrote:
> Why not populate the registry properly?
>
> It is not that difficult to do.

Good idea, but where do I find the correct entries?

Date:
Garry Saddington wrote:
> I have developed an application using Zope and Postgresql and I want
> to be able to distribute the application with a full database of data
> so that there are no setup worries for users. The platform is Windows.
> When I copy the app over to windows XP home, Postgres refuses to start
> and I get a cryptic 'Application is configured wrongly' message from
> windows. It seems that the absence of registry entries (done some
> testing) is the problem. Is there a distribution that will run when
> copied from one machine to another without writing anything in the
> registry? By the way, I tried the binaries only install from the
> download area for 8.3.7 and it won't start either with the same error
> message. Any help would be much appreciated.
> Regards
> Garry

I have solved this problem. It's not the registry that is the problem it
is the visual c++ runtime that is missing on Windows xp home. Installing
vcredist_x86.exe as supplied with the msi installer corrects the problem.
Regards
Garry