SVN and Postgres 8.3

From
Phoenix Kiula
Date:
We installed 8.3.7 on a new server. Some of the config changes such as
tracker_acvitity etc are nice.

But big problem. When I start SVN on this machine (which we need!) I
see this error:

-----
svn: error while loading shared libraries: libpq.so.4: cannot open
-----

I am unable to install the library "libpq.so.4" due to dependency errors.

Upon some digging, it seems this is because the PostgreSQL has
something to do with this, as the libraries "libpq.so.5" and
"libpq.so.5.1" are already present in the server. This is the reason
why we are unable to install the library "libpq.so.4".

-----
[snoff] ~ > rpm -ql postgresql-libs-8.3.7-1PGDG.rhel5 | grep libpq.so
/usr/lib64/libpq.so.5
/usr/lib64/libpq.so.5.1
-----

My question: how can I use PostgreSQL 8.3 and SVN on the same server?
Has someone figured out how to fix this situation? I'm on CentOS 5 x64
bit.

Thanks!

Re: SVN and Postgres 8.3

From
Vick Khera
Date:
On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 7:37 AM, Phoenix Kiula<phoenix.kiula@gmail.com> wrote:
> We installed 8.3.7 on a new server. Some of the config changes such as
> tracker_acvitity etc are nice.
>
> But big problem. When I start SVN on this machine (which we need!) I
> see this error:
>

> -----
> svn: error while loading shared libraries: libpq.so.4: cannot open
> -----

I didn't even know svn could be linked with postgres libraries.  I
think what you need to do is either rebuild subversion without Pg
support, or rebuild it against the 8.3 client libraries.  If you're
not running the svn server on this machine, then just build/install
the svn client portions, not the server bits.  The client has no
reason to speak to postgres directly anyhow.

Re: SVN and Postgres 8.3

From
Chris Browne
Date:
phoenix.kiula@gmail.com (Phoenix Kiula) writes:
> My question: how can I use PostgreSQL 8.3 and SVN on the same server?
> Has someone figured out how to fix this situation? I'm on CentOS 5 x64
> bit.

RPM has a "--replacefiles" option which might either help or hurt...

I think there's a fair chance that the CentOS folk mayn't be in a
position to do anything to help, as they are mostly deriving things
from what Red Hat produces, and it is quite likely to be a non-option
to deviate.

What you may need to do instead is to either:

 a) Find 8.3 packages that are independent enough in their
    installation that they won't conflict with the existing 8.1
    packages built into CentOS, or

 b) Build 8.3 from source, and run your DB server from that, using the
    8.1 packages solely for handling libraries and interactions with
    other things (SVN, scripting languages like Perl/Python/...).
--
"cbbrowne","@","linuxfinances.info"
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/rdbms.html

Re: SVN and Postgres 8.3

From
Scott Mead
Date:
On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Vick Khera <vivek@khera.org> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 7:37 AM, Phoenix Kiula<phoenix.kiula@gmail.com> wrote:
> We installed 8.3.7 on a new server. Some of the config changes such as
> tracker_acvitity etc are nice.
>
> But big problem. When I start SVN on this machine (which we need!) I
> see this error:
>

> -----
> svn: error while loading shared libraries: libpq.so.4: cannot open
> -----

I didn't even know svn could be linked with postgres libraries.  I
think what you need to do is either rebuild subversion without Pg
support, or rebuild it against the 8.3 client libraries.  If you're
not running the svn server on this machine, then just build/install
the svn client portions, not the server bits.  The client has no
reason to speak to postgres directly anyhow.

It's probably the WEBDav stuff with auth_pg.

   Is there a -libs package in CentOS that dates back to 8.1?  The simple thing to do would be to download 8.1 source code, build it on your machine, then just copy the libpq.so.4 to /usr/lib.

--Scott

Re: SVN and Postgres 8.3

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Thu, 2009-07-30 at 19:37 +0800, Phoenix Kiula wrote:

> My question: how can I use PostgreSQL 8.3 and SVN on the same server?
> Has someone figured out how to fix this situation?

http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/8.3/redhat/rhel-5-x86_64/repoview/compat-postgresql-libs.html

Download and install both of the compat packages -- they will give you
libpq.so.4.

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
Command Prompt - http://www.CommandPrompt.com

Attachment

Re: SVN and Postgres 8.3

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, Phoenix Kiula wrote:

> svn: error while loading shared libraries: libpq.so.4: cannot open

I'll bet you installed an RPM at some point with "--force" when you
shouldn't have when installing the new PostgreSQL versions.  The package
that contains libpq.so.4 (postgresql-libs is the standard one) is used by
a lot of things and that's the only way I know of to end up in the spot
you're in.

There's a long guide to working around the issues you run into converting
from the stock PostgreSQL version to using the newer ones at
http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/postgresql/pgrpm.htm you should
take a look at to see how to avoid getting stuck in this position again,
and all you probably need to do to get out of your current jam is grab the
compat-postgresql-libs packages from the same place you grabbed the rest
of 8.3 from in order to put back libpq.so.4.

Re: SVN and Postgres 8.3

From
Phoenix Kiula
Date:
On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Greg Smith<gsmith@gregsmith.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, Phoenix Kiula wrote:
>
>> svn: error while loading shared libraries: libpq.so.4: cannot open
>> shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> There's a long guide to working around the issues you run into converting
> from the stock PostgreSQL version to using the newer ones at
> http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/postgresql/pgrpm.htm you should take
> a look at to see how to avoid getting stuck in this position again, and all
> you probably need to do to get out of your current jam is grab the
> compat-postgresql-libs packages from the same place you grabbed the rest of
> 8.3 from in order to put back libpq.so.4.

Perfect Greg. This did it!

Cheers