Re: SVN and Postgres 8.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: SVN and Postgres 8.3
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, Phoenix Kiula wrote:

> svn: error while loading shared libraries: libpq.so.4: cannot open

I'll bet you installed an RPM at some point with "--force" when you
shouldn't have when installing the new PostgreSQL versions.  The package
that contains libpq.so.4 (postgresql-libs is the standard one) is used by
a lot of things and that's the only way I know of to end up in the spot
you're in.

There's a long guide to working around the issues you run into converting
from the stock PostgreSQL version to using the newer ones at
http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/postgresql/pgrpm.htm you should
take a look at to see how to avoid getting stuck in this position again,
and all you probably need to do to get out of your current jam is grab the
compat-postgresql-libs packages from the same place you grabbed the rest
of 8.3 from in order to put back libpq.so.4.