how many connections can i use????

From
"Edmundo Robles L."
Date:
Hello there!

I have a problem with the number of connections on postgres 7.2.1, yeah
is  a   quite older :-)
but  i have it  running on SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 and  tried to change
the number of connections  above  100 but,
  i only got 100  sometimes  101 but no more.

I changed  the  parameters line   of postmaster to  "-N 128 -B 256" , "
-N 256  -B 512", etc;  even  modified  the max_connections and
shared_buffers on  postgresql.conf but  i  only got 100 connections :-(

I hope  the following info, could help to solve the above mentioned:

Operative system: SCO OpenServer 5.0.7

SHMMAX=    106340761
SHMMIN=     1
SHMALL=    512
SHMSEG=    6
SHMMNI=    100
SEMMNI=     256
SEMMSL=    150
SEMMAP=    8192
SEMVMX=    32767

memsize: 1063407616

thanks in advance, and regards from  Mexico.
--
Di  NO  a la pirateria, usa software libre.
Say NO  to  piracy,   use  free(dom) software.

Re: how many connections can i use????

Date:
"Edmundo Robles L." <erobles@sensacd.com.mx> writes:
> I have a problem with the number of connections on postgres 7.2.1,

egad ... the number of known bugs in that would curl your toes.
Think about an upgrade.  Do more than just think about it.

> I changed  the  parameters line   of postmaster to  "-N 128 -B 256" , "
> -N 256  -B 512", etc;  even  modified  the max_connections and
> shared_buffers on  postgresql.conf but  i  only got 100 connections :-(

You sure you restarted the postmaster?

> Operative system: SCO OpenServer 5.0.7

double egad (and a bit at odds with your sig...)

            regards, tom lane

FW: how many connections can i use????

From
"Edmundo Robles L."
Date:
"Edmundo Robles L." <erobles@sensacd.com.mx> writes:
> I have a problem with the number of connections on postgres 7.2.1,

-->egad ... the number of known bugs in that would curl your toes.
-->Think about an upgrade.  Do more than just think about it.

yes,  maybe  the  upgrade solve that problem, i will try
with another version and test it.

> I changed  the  parameters line   of postmaster to  "-N 128 -B 256" , "
> -N 256  -B 512", etc;  even  modified  the max_connections and
> shared_buffers on  postgresql.conf but  i  only got 100 connections :-(

-->You sure you restarted the postmaster?

Yes i sure!, each time i modified the  parameter i restart the server :-)

> Operative system: SCO OpenServer 5.0.7

--> double egad (and a bit at odds with your sig...)

jeje  :-) yes , this is because in my work   we use SCO but personally i  use ubuntu on my desktop pc and laptop.

Di NO a la pirateria, usa software libre.
Say NO to piracy, use free(dom) software.

Re: FW: how many connections can i use????

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Edmundo Robles L.
<erobles@sensacd.com.mx> wrote:
>> Operative system: SCO OpenServer 5.0.7
>
> --> double egad (and a bit at odds with your sig...)
>
> jeje  :-) yes , this is because in my work   we use SCO but personally i  use ubuntu on my desktop pc and laptop.

This would be one instance where you could quite possibly convince
someone that moving to something other than SCO with an old version of
pgsql would be a (very very) good idea.

Re: FW: how many connections can i use????

From
Craig Ringer
Date:
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Edmundo Robles L.
> <erobles@sensacd.com.mx> wrote:
>>> Operative system: SCO OpenServer 5.0.7
>> --> double egad (and a bit at odds with your sig...)
>>
>> jeje  :-) yes , this is because in my work   we use SCO but personally i  use ubuntu on my desktop pc and laptop.
>
> This would be one instance where you could quite possibly convince
> someone that moving to something other than SCO with an old version of
> pgsql would be a (very very) good idea.

If "it's ancient, insecure, hard to run on modern hardware, hard to get
skilled people for, a huge waste of time to get modern software on, and
inferior in almost all ways to zero-license-fee alternatives like
BSD/Linux/Solaris" doesn't get them, maybe the fact that it's about to
go from dead to fossilized might make the business types wake up:

http://regmedia.co.uk/2009/05/06/scochapter7motion.pdf

FYI - I have a SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 VM running a business critical
application here, so I'm familiar with SCO OpenServer. The app was
compiled for Microsoft Xenix, the source code is long-lost, and it's
running in OpenServer's Xenix emulation mode. At least my employer
recognises the problem, and is paying me to rewrite the application from
scratch with Java + PostgreSQL to run on any modern platform and require
only open source tools and libraries.

Try to convince yours. It'll save them plenty of time and money moving
to practically any modern platform. If they're scared of open source
platforms, (a) it doesn't make sense to be using PostgreSQL, and (b)
they can just pay for Solaris x86.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: FW: how many connections can i use????

From
"Harvey, Allan AC"

> On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Edmundo Robles L.
> <erobles@sensacd.com.mx> wrote:
> >> Operative system: SCO OpenServer 5.0.7
> >
> > --> double egad (and a bit at odds with your sig...)
> >
> > jeje  :-) yes , this is because in my work   we use SCO but
> personally i  use ubuntu on my desktop pc and laptop.
>
> This would be one instance where you could quite possibly convince
> someone that moving to something other than SCO with an old version of
> pgsql would be a (very very) good idea.

FYI I have managed to get 8.3.3 compiled for SCO.
cm3=> select version();
                             version
 PostgreSQL 8.3.3 on i386-pc-sco3.2v5.0.7, compiled by GCC 2.95.3
(1 row)

Allan

The material contained in this email may be confidential, privileged or copyrighted. If you are not the intended
recipient,use, disclosure or copying of this information is prohibited. If you have received this document in error,
pleaseadvise the sender and delete the document. Neither OneSteel nor the sender accept responsibility for any viruses
containedin this email or any attachments.

Re: FW: how many connections can i use????

From
Henry
Date:
Quoting "Craig Ringer" <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>:
> ... I have a SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 VM ... business critical
> application ... compiled for Microsoft Xenix, ... source code ...
> long-lost, ... OpenServer's Xenix emulation mode.

triple egad;  otherwise known as Good Lord Almighty, better you than me.

:))
Henry

Attachment