Parallel Query Processing

From
aravind chandu
Date:
Hello,

            I have a few questions related to the parallel query processing.Can you guys tell me how to implement parallel query processing in postgresql database.

Thanks,
Avin.

Re: Parallel Query Processing

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 2:24 PM, aravind chandu <avin_friends@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>             I have a few questions related to the parallel query
> processing.Can you guys tell me how to implement parallel query processing
> in postgresql database.

Do you mean one query being parallelized, or multiple queries running at once?

PostgreSQL provides no capability to parallelize one query into
multiple processes.

Multiple Queries run in parallel automatically

Re: Parallel Query Processing

From
Cory Coager
Date:
You could run parallel queries across multiple servers using pgpool-II.

~Cory Coager

------------------------------------------------------------------------ The information contained in this communication is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. It may contain information that is privileged or confidential, and may be protected by State and/or Federal Regulations. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please return it to the sender immediately and delete the original message and any copy of it from your computer system. If you have any questions concerning this message, please contact the sender. ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Parallel Query Processing

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 15:52 -0600, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 2:24 PM, aravind chandu <avin_friends@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >             I have a few questions related to the parallel query
> > processing.Can you guys tell me how to implement parallel query processing
> > in postgresql database.
>
> Do you mean one query being parallelized, or multiple queries running at once?
>
> PostgreSQL provides no capability to parallelize one query into
> multiple processes.

I have a tool that will allow you to manually parallelize a query (and
get the right answer). That is useful for certain larger queries. I'll
be publishing that a bit more visibly in next few months.

Re: Parallel Query Processing

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 05:04:29PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 15:52 -0600, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 2:24 PM, aravind chandu <avin_friends@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have a few questions related to the parallel query
> > > processing.Can you guys tell me how to implement parallel query
> > > processing in postgresql database.
> >
> > Do you mean one query being parallelized, or multiple queries
> > running at once?
> >
> > PostgreSQL provides no capability to parallelize one query into
> > multiple processes.
>
> I have a tool that will allow you to manually parallelize a query
> (and get the right answer). That is useful for certain larger
> queries. I'll be publishing that a bit more visibly in next few
> months.

Is this snapshot cloning?  If so, thanks very much for publishing it! :)

If not, I'm really curious as to what it is :)

On the subject of snapshot cloning, I can see, at least in broad brush
strokes, how this would work for read queries, but I'm curious how (or
if) it could work for writes like, for example, updates of many
partitions at once.  Could it?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Date:
On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 10:12 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 05:04:29PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:

> > > PostgreSQL provides no capability to parallelize one query into
> > > multiple processes.
> >
> > I have a tool that will allow you to manually parallelize a query
> > (and get the right answer). That is useful for certain larger
> > queries. I'll be publishing that a bit more visibly in next few
> > months.
>
> Is this snapshot cloning?

Basically, yes.

> On the subject of snapshot cloning, I can see, at least in broad brush
> strokes, how this would work for read queries, but I'm curious how (or
> if) it could work for writes like, for example, updates of many
> partitions at once.  Could it?

Yes, think so, since most writes involve first reading the data.