Re: Parallel Query Processing - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Fetter
Subject Re: Parallel Query Processing
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 05:04:29PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 15:52 -0600, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 2:24 PM, aravind chandu <avin_friends@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have a few questions related to the parallel query
> > > processing.Can you guys tell me how to implement parallel query
> > > processing in postgresql database.
> >
> > Do you mean one query being parallelized, or multiple queries
> > running at once?
> >
> > PostgreSQL provides no capability to parallelize one query into
> > multiple processes.
>
> I have a tool that will allow you to manually parallelize a query
> (and get the right answer). That is useful for certain larger
> queries. I'll be publishing that a bit more visibly in next few
> months.

Is this snapshot cloning?  If so, thanks very much for publishing it! :)

If not, I'm really curious as to what it is :)

On the subject of snapshot cloning, I can see, at least in broad brush
strokes, how this would work for read queries, but I'm curious how (or
if) it could work for writes like, for example, updates of many
partitions at once.  Could it?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!