Problem with Windows XP Pro SP3 asn PostgreSQL 8.3.5

From
Tk421
Date:
    Hello everybody. In the last week i'm having a trouble with my
PostgreSQL working on Windows XP Professional.

    When i boot, Postgresql works correctcly, but after about an hour it
stops working, an i get timeouts when i try to connect to it.

    In the postgresql log, i get this message: 2009-03-25 10:52:57 CET
FATAL:  could not duplicate socket 1276 for use in backend: error code 10022

    After this, if i go to Event Viewer, i get this warning: PostgreSQL
Database Server 8.3 Service stopped.

    In task manager, i get two postgres.exe process running, the first
one of 104 Kb, and the second about 5000 kb.

    If i try to start postgresql service again, I got these messages:
             Waiting for server startup...
             LOG loaded library "$libdir/plugins/plugin_debugger.dll"
             LOG could not bind IPv4 socket: No error
             HINT is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If
not, wait a few seconds and retry.
             WARNING:  could not create listen socket for "*"
             FATAL:  could not create any TCP/IP sockets

    The service appears as starting, but it does not start.
    If i kill the two postgresql porcessess the one of 5000kb stops
correctly, but i get access denied for killing the one of 104 Kb.

    If i try to start postgresql service again,  i can't, because it
stills starting, and i can't do anithing to it.

    The only way is reboot the machine, but after about an hour, the
same history.

    Before i detected this trouble last week, i had never got any problem

    any idea?

    King Regards

Re: Problem with Windows XP Pro SP3 asn PostgreSQL 8.3.5

From
"Benedikt Schackenberg"
Date:
you have a power saving mode enabled? of inactivity when your pc shuts down
etc?

    King Regards

[...]

Date:
    Power saving mode is disabled, and i get the error even until i'm
working.

    Best regards

Benedikt Schackenberg escribió:
> you have a power saving mode enabled? of inactivity when your pc shuts down
> etc?
>

>     King Regards

Date:
    In my ethernet connection I've got only one IP address, and i've tried with Static IP and with DHCP, and the error
Stills.<br/><br />     Ii've got two aditional network adapters active (created by vmware for virtualizations). May
thisbe the cause of the error? I will try to set postgres to listen only at one IP, and test if error stills.<br /><br
/>    Regards<br /><br /> Benedikt Schackenberg escribió: <blockquote cite="mid:001d01c9ad3d$7d155490$773ffdb0$@de"
type="cite"><prewrap="">how many IP addresses your computer? you will get your ip address via dhcp?

it sounds to me in such a way as if the postgreSQL service is no longer an
ip address can bind

   Hello everybody. In the last week i'm having a trouble with my
PostgreSQL working on Windows XP Professional.
   When i boot, Postgresql works correctcly, but after about an hour it
stops working, an i get timeouts when i try to connect to it.
   In the postgresql log, i get this message: 2009-03-25 10:52:57 CET
</pre><blockquotetype="cite"><pre wrap="">    After this, if i go to Event Viewer, i get this warning: PostgreSQL

[...]

Date:
    I've configured postgreSQL server to listen only in one IP address
and the error stills.

    Anyone has more ideas to solve it?

    Best regards

Benedikt Schackenberg escribió:
> you have a power saving mode enabled? of inactivity when your pc shuts down
> etc?
>

>     King Regards

Adrian Klaver
Date:
On Wednesday 25 March 2009 5:58:33 am Tk421 wrote:
>     I've configured postgreSQL server to listen only in one IP address
> and the error stills.
>
>     Anyone has more ideas to solve it?

In the past week have you installed any other software or changed the behavior
of software? In particular I am thinking of Anti-Virus software.

The reason I ask is that as far as I can tell the error comes from the section
of postmaster.c that has the following comment:

/*
 * Duplicate a socket for usage in a child process, and write the resulting
 * structure to the parameter file.
 * This is required because a number of LSPs (Layered Service Providers) very
 * common on Windows (antivirus, firewalls, download managers etc) break
 * straight socket inheritance.
 */

This would seem to point another process interfering with the Postgres.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net

Re: Problem with Windows XP Pro SP3 asn PostgreSQL 8.3.5

From
Tk421
Date:
    No, the last week i didn't installed any software. The only
possible installation may be a instalation of some windows update. I
will look for it, and if there is some thing about any
antivirus/firewall update.

    Best regards.

 type="cite">