Server Shutting Down

From
"Bob Pawley"
Date:
Hi

I've had the server shut itself down when attempting to connect, even with
PG Admin.

Is there anything I can do to ensure that the pg server continues to run
during a connection?

Bob

Re: Server Shutting Down

From
Steve Crawford
Date:
Bob Pawley wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've had the server shut itself down when attempting to connect, even
> with PG Admin.
>
> Is there anything I can do to ensure that the pg server continues to
> run during a connection?
>
> Bob

We're going to need a bit more to go on.

Is it the whole server or just your backend? Did it used to work? What
changed? If you revert changes does it work again? Is the server
otherwise healthy? Are you exceeding something (number of connections,
open file limits or anything else you can think of) so that PG or the OS
is killing the backend? Is the server on the same machine that you are
connecting from? What OS? What do the PostgreSQL server logs say
(increase logging verbosity if necessary)?

Cheers,
Steve

Re: Server Shutting Down

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
----- "Bob Pawley" <rjpawley@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've had the server shut itself down when attempting to connect, even
> with
> PG Admin.
>
> Is there anything I can do to ensure that the pg server continues to
> run
> during a connection?
>
> Bob

We are going to need a bit more information. What do the server logs show? What where you doing when trying to connect?

Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net

Re: Server Shutting Down

From
"Bob Pawley"
Date:
Other than shutting down unexpectedly the server works fine.

I now have the server running as a remote host on my computer. I have been
running it on localhost.

It was shutting down when I was attempting to connect with my application. I
didn't think too much about it figuring I would find the problem in my app.
However when PG Admin force the server to close I began to think it was
something else.

I simply clicked 'connect' in PG Admin and got the error.

There are 6 databases and I make a single connection to one of them (still
in development stage).

I can't be sure wheter PG Admin forced a shutdown when I was on localhost
although my application attempting to conect did force a shutdown.

A simple 'stop' then 'start' resolves the immediate problem.

Bob

>> I've had the server shut itself down when attempting to connect, even
>> with PG Admin.
>>
>> Is there anything I can do to ensure that the pg server continues to run
>> during a connection?
>>
>> Bob
>>
> We're going to need a bit more to go on.
>
> Is it the whole server or just your backend? Did it used to work? What
> changed? If you revert changes does it work again? Is the server otherwise
> healthy? Are you exceeding something (number of connections, open file
> limits or anything else you can think of) so that PG or the OS is killing
> the backend? Is the server on the same machine that you are connecting
> from? What OS? What do the PostgreSQL server logs say (increase logging
> verbosity if necessary)?
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

Re: Server Shutting Down

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
----- "Bob Pawley" <rjpawley@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Other than shutting down unexpectedly the server works fine.
>
> I now have the server running as a remote host on my computer. I have
> been
> running it on localhost.
>
> It was shutting down when I was attempting to connect with my
> application. I
> didn't think too much about it figuring I would find the problem in my
> app.
> However when PG Admin force the server to close I began to think it
> was
> something else.
>
> I simply clicked 'connect' in PG Admin and got the error.
>
> There are 6 databases and I make a single connection to one of them
> (still
> in development stage).
>
> I can't be sure wheter PG Admin forced a shutdown when I was on
> localhost
> although my application attempting to conect did force a shutdown.
>
> A simple 'stop' then 'start' resolves the immediate problem.
>
> Bob

Without some log information this is going nowhere:)

Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net

Re: Server Shutting Down

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Bob Pawley <rjpawley@shaw.ca> wrote:
> Other than shutting down unexpectedly the server works fine.

Wait, do you mean the postgresql service, or the whole server (OS and
all) shuts down?

Re: Server Shutting Down

From
"Bob Pawley"
Date:
What log should I get and how do I get it??

Bob

>> Other than shutting down unexpectedly the server works fine.
>>
>> I now have the server running as a remote host on my computer. I have
>> been
>> running it on localhost.
>>
>> It was shutting down when I was attempting to connect with my
>> application. I
>> didn't think too much about it figuring I would find the problem in my
>> app.
>> However when PG Admin force the server to close I began to think it
>> was
>> something else.
>>
>> I simply clicked 'connect' in PG Admin and got the error.
>>
>> There are 6 databases and I make a single connection to one of them
>> (still
>> in development stage).
>>
>> I can't be sure wheter PG Admin forced a shutdown when I was on
>> localhost
>> although my application attempting to conect did force a shutdown.
>>
>> A simple 'stop' then 'start' resolves the immediate problem.
>>
>> Bob
>
> Without some log information this is going nowhere:)
>
> Adrian Klaver
> aklaver@comcast.net

Re: Server Shutting Down

From
Steve Crawford
Date:
The PostgreSQL Server log. I don't know about Windows but in *nix you
need to edit the  "ERROR REPORTING AND LOGGING" section of
postgresql.conf, wherever that is located in your install (we still have
no idea what OS, OS release/version, and PG version we are trying to
help you with). If you are on 8.3, see the manual:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/runtime-config-logging.html

Cheers,
Steve

Bob Pawley wrote:
> What log should I get and how do I get it??
>
> Bob
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Adrian Klaver" <aklaver@comcast.net>

Re: Server Shutting Down

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 11/03/2009 18:47, Steve Crawford wrote:
> The PostgreSQL Server log. I don't know about Windows but in *nix you
> need to edit the  "ERROR REPORTING AND LOGGING" section of
> postgresql.conf, wherever that is located in your install (we still have
> no idea what OS, OS release/version, and PG version we are trying to
> help you with). If you are on 8.3, see the manual:

From memory of past posts, I think Bob's on Windows. By default the log
for 8.3 on Windows is in c:\program files\postgresql\8.3\data\pg_log; if
he's put his data directory somewhere else, it defaults to pg_log in
that directory.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie